As a beach girl living on the Gulf Coast, I could not resist having some beach-y themed decor this year. I mean, hello.
You remember my sons room, right?
But instead of buying some (and there are cute ones!) Charlotte and I decided to ruin my dining room floor with fine grain sand and hot glue.
Fun stuff, this parenting can be.
I am also going to let you in on a secret……….we bought our sand. Yep. 5 trillion miles of ocean and sometimes it’s just a bit quicker and costs less to just stop at Hobby Lobby.
Beach Themed Christmas Ornaments DIY
What you need
- Plastic Balls for decoration (you can use glass too). You get these in the CRAFTING section, not the Christmas section. $7.99
- Bag of Shells, I like the mini ones that include color. $2.99
- Sand. The sand comes in all colors, I just bought regular white sand. $2.49
- String to hang the bulbs .99
1) All we did was create a makeshift funnel to help distribute the sand into the bulbs and then pick out random shells for design. I made sure we didn’t over fill the bulb so it didn’t get too weighted down. After showing Charlotte once, she filled and added shells and I did the hot gluing! Making Beach Christmas bulbs is a very easy craft for about 6 and up as long as you are using plastic. I left the bulbs in the container they came in because this and is really fine and I didn’t want it all over the dining area.
2) My best advice is to hot glue the toppers back on and then use a ribbon and hot glue closed to create the hanging tie. We also added a little blue glitter to some of our bulbs for variety. VERY easy and lots of fun!
And if you love crafts, do not forget to check out my How To Make a Tutu Tutorial! Even though the above craft is more after my son, tulle and tutus are totally my daughter!