If you’ve ever taken a road trip or even a trip around the block with a fussy baby in the backseat, then you know that car rides with kids can be stressful. While some babies drift off to sleep quickly from the movement and sounds of the car and road, others become irritable and cranky as soon as they’re strapped into their car seat. So how can you keep your baby happy when you’re behind the wheel? And how can you ensure happy travels for all with little ones in tow? Here are just a few ways to entertain your baby in the car.
- Music – Most babies like music — and they love listening to their parents sing even more. If children’s music or your own favorite artists don’t do the trick to settle your young one, make a mixed take of all the songs you regularly sing with or to your baby – whether sung by the professionals or, better yet, yourself.
- Books on tape – When you can’t read to your baby, why not try the next best thing? Check a few of your favorite kids’ books out of the library; however, skip the hard copies and go for the audio versions instead. You’ll know very quickly if your child enjoys this type of story time or not.
- Toys – Never underestimate the value of a beloved toy, blankie or other soothing object while on the road. Sometimes it’s just the comfort of home that’s needed to put little ones to sleep or help them settle down when you can’t be by their side. Other times, consider placing a bag filled with age-appropriate toys within reach so a new distraction is just an arm’s length away.
- Snacks – Whether it’s a sippie cup of water or a container full of Cheerios, snacks are a great way to stretch the time between rest stops and keep your baby’s tummy full between meals. However, make sure your child is at the age where they can safely eat cereal or other small snacks unattended so there’s no choking hazard while you’re preoccupied behind the wheel.
- Videos – Not all parents have a TV or DVD player in their car, but if you do or can borrow one from a friend, this is another great way to keep your child distracted and happy on any length drive. Simply bring along some of your baby’s favorite videos and then get ready to enjoy the quiet they bring once you push play.
While these aren’t the only ways to entertain your baby in the car, these are some of the tried and true methods of mothers and fathers everywhere. And remember, if your baby remains fussy or inconsolable while you’re on the road and you find it distracting, always be sure to pull over before turning around to shush or console your child in order to keep everyone safe on the road.
Another way to keep your whole family safe while driving is to protect yourself and those you love with the right online auto insurance coverage for your family. So get online and read some car insurance reviews to help you feel confident in your decision before requesting a quote.
Note: Sponsored content was created and provided by Nationwide Insurance