I had my new Frigidaire Affinity Washer and Dryer installed the last week in July. I am part of a testing program for their new line. It has been approximately 9 weeks since I have been using it. Now that the new and exciting of the big (beautiful) set has worn off, I wanted to make sure I touched on some of the negatives, and hopefully future improvements, of this product.
1) Tray: On the washer there is a pull out tray on the top left where you add your detergent, bleach, and fabric softener. I like how its raised up where a child cannot get to it, however I have to stand on my tippy toes to actually see the inside of the tray.
The washer and dryer are on the stands that pull out, so it makes them a bit higher then usual, but its something that the company should have accounted for. While I am short (5’1″), the one thing that baffles me is that the bleach tray is in the back of the pour tray and the softener tray is in the front. Every time I pour bleach, I have to do it quite blindly as its taller then I am and having the bleach in the back makes it extra difficult.
As bleach is not only much dangerous to work with and can ruin clothing if its accidentally poured outside the area it goes into, it seems to me that bleach should be a lot more accessible.
Tip to Frigidaire: Switch bleach to the front and fabric softener to the back ASAP
2) Smell: On the inside of the washer, there is a ring of rubber that separates the door from the washer itself. There is no way to explain it other then that it smells when its wet. It hasn’t transferred to my clothing (that I have noticed), but its a clear stink from the rubber.
In addition to that, there is a groove (I am assuming for flexibility) and Charlotte’s little socks constantly get left there and I have to pull them out and hand wring the water out to throw in the dryer.
3) Doors: Now I am not sure who designed the doors, but they open opposite of each other. That doesn’t sound like a big deal, but as a right handed person, the dryer doesn’t open on the side that it naturally should (think of a door opening).
It opens on the OPPOSITE side.
Even after 9 weeks, my first instinct is to open it on the other side then it does. This is more of an annoying trait then anything else. When we had these installed, because of how our dryer connection was set up in the back (and I am assuming most dryer connections since we have a standard home) they had to put in an additional wire to get the dryer on the other side of the laundry room. This piece cost an extra $75.
Be aware of how these install versus your laundry room and if you will be subjected to this cost upon install.
You can see in this picture that the washer (on the left) opens correctly and the dryer (right) door opens in an odd direction. You try opening a dryer with your left hand today and see how awkward it is.
4) Closing: The latch on the dryer is very weak. It takes an actual thought process to close the dryer and make sure its latched properly. You cannot just close the dryer, you have to intentionally push in and slightly up and secure the latch. When your hands are full with clothing, you have to leave and come back and close it. This leaves it open for kids and cats to crawl into.
5) Noise: I will try to capture some video upcoming, but I can tell you that the noise that they dryer and washer make versus my last set (Kenmore) is a noticable. I do like that the washer beeps in 3 successions so you know the clothing is completed, so that is a plus. However, the water rushing in, the cycles of washing and drying themselves, all make a great deal more noise then I am used to.
Please realize that while I am pointing out the things I do not like with my washer/dryer to make it easier for you to know the improvements needed, that none of these things actually affect how clean my clothes have been.
Other posts of mine that mention Frigidaire
- Beautiful Washer Dryer
- Jennifer Garner teams up with Frigidaire
- Tide Stain Release
- I hit the MotherLoad
- Frigidaire Dishwasher (this no longer applies)
Free Printables Monthly!
Get FOUR FREE Child Friendly Printables, perfect for home decor, nursery, or childs bedroom. Just print and frame for instant art- FREE! When you join my mailing list, you will be updated any time I have a new printable so you can be first to download!