This post sponsored by Discover.com
Every week Chris and I have a date night.
Well, almost every week.
Sometimes we cannot because our sitter isn’t available but ALMOST every week we have a date night. This past Saturday night we decided to include Charlotte in our date night and took her out to see The Nut Job. It was a “final” birthday present for our girl that turned 9 on Wednesday.
Somehow she always manages to get a weeks worth or presents for one day, but I don’t mind. And going to the movies IS another present. The expense of a family of 3? $30! Wowza!
But it doesn’t have to be expensive.
There are many ways to enjoy good movies and family moments by simply planning ahead.
- Check Groupon and LivingSocial for savings on food, popcorn and tickets. Pre-buying at a discount always makes it feel so much better when we go!
- Try not to go on Saturday night. If you can make matinees or special nights (like ours has Tuesday Specials) do that.
- Get a popcorn bucket! This is a great time of the year to invest int hat popcorn bucket. Our local theater charges $20 for the bucket but only $3 after to fill through December 31st, 2014. If you get it now, you can have it for the rest of the year and its only $3 per fill.
- Never go to the theater hungry! Who wants nachos and hot dogs for dinner anyway? Make sure your stomach is full before you get there and you will spend less money on junk food. Plus you can turn credit card rewards into extra cash! Discover cardmembers can redeem their accumulated Cashback Bonus rewards for partner gift cards from several restaurants and movie theaters, such as AMC Theaters, Outback Steakhouse and Red Lobster.
- Make your credit card work for you. Now through March 31, Discover cardmembers can sign up to earn 5% Cashback Bonus on up to $1,500 in purchases at restaurants and movie theaters, this also includes Netflix and Fandango! That’s up to $75 in Cashback Bonus just for using your Discover card.
And with Valentines Day coming up it’s a great time to hit the movies (with or without kids). If you use ShopDiscover, Discover’s exclusive shopping portal, to earn extra Cashback Bonus, you will find many merchants are upping the amount of bonus! For example:
- Restaurant.com – 20% Cashback Bonus
- Fandango – 10% Cashback Bonus
- Living Social – 5% Cashback Bonus
- Groupon – 5% Cashback Bonus
Example: To save on Living Social or Groupon, simply visit ShopDiscover.com, go to the Groupon or Living Social tab, and click “Start Shopping” to earn Cashback Bonus for your purchase made on your Discover card.
This February, whether you are hitting up a serious movie with your hunny or taking your daughter out on a date, make sure you are making the most of your year by saving a little rather than spending a lot!
Do you have any special plans for Valentines Day?