Last year when I was invited on the Maytag Moms campaign I was really excited. Getting a kitchen upgrade is a dream for most people and as we already had (and liked) Maytag appliances, I knew it would be interesting to check out all the advancement in technology and the different ways these newer appliances made life in the kitchen easier. If you missed any past posts, you can read them here:
- Maytag Jet Clean Dishwasher
- Maytag® Ice2O® French Door Refrigerator with Easy Access Refrigerator Drawer
- My Kitchen is Getting an Upgrade
- Organizing your fridge takes some time
As you may have noticed the past few months, MomDot has yet to publish anything about the stove. Unfortunately when I first received my new stove, I noticed it had an issue. The stove seemed to heat up on the outside as well. With an infant in the house I knew that was going to be an issue. I gave it some time thinking it was me doing something wrong but eventually I contacted Maytag and they agreed that that should not be happening. They were very forthcoming with getting the stove out and replacing it.
A few weeks later, Maytag sent over a new stove model and it was a double oven!
I was major MAJORLY excited. Thrilled.
Gemini® Electric Double Oven Range with EvenAir™ True Convection
Whether you’re cooking snacks or multiple courses for a special gathering, this double oven uses the industry’s largest available capacity2 at 6.7 cu. ft. to cook several items at the same time. Perfect the rest of the meal using the Power Center cooktop with a 3,200-watt Speed Heat™ and a 12″/9″/6″ Triple-Choice™ elements that handle almost any size pan. Keep the process efficient with EvenAir™ True convection in the lower oven that roasts up to 30% faster than a thermal oven and Power Preheat which preheats the upper oven 40% faster than a conventional 5.3 cu. ft. conventional oven.
As you can see, it’s quite attractive.
I went from an all black kitchen to stainless steal.
But it pains me to say this….the new double oven broke within days of having it. I noticed when I turned on the regular portion of the oven (the large area), I was experiencing loud bangs. I recorded it and sent it over to Maytag and they sent out a repair person. He let me know that the fan was broken and they had to order the part. Of course this was over the Christmas holiday so while they were very helpful, and so was Maytag, I was out of an oven over the holidays.
Now that I have had a chance to use my new oven for the first time in a few months from the beginning process till now, here is what I have learned.
1) Having a double oven has its benefits. Being able to make two completely different meals with two temperatures at the same time is fantastic. You can ready rolls, a separate meal for the kids, side dishes and all while the larger portion of the oven is still cooking.
2) Speed heat on the range is very fast. That means a lot when the kids are hungry NOW.
3) The convection helps in keeping the baking even. Even last night when my spouse attempted to make dinner and forgot about something he put in, the entire thing was burned…evenly.
4) The range space is used in a really great way. One of the range spots for a pan is adjustable, so you can use a small pan, medium pan or large pan. All you do is turn the knob to the dial of the pan you use.
The Changes I would make
1) The seal around the edge gets caught with food a lot..it’s pretty hard to clean out unless you use a butter knife. I think this is just an aesthetics thing but if I were redesigning, I would make that area nonexistent.
2) Putting the big oven on the bottom seems like a poor design. If you are pulling a turkey or heavy casserole out, bending way over and getting it isn’t practical. If you are older or have bad back/knees, this can be a real issue. The larger portion is REALLY low to the floor.
3) My last Maytag had a slide lock on it, this one only locks when you clean it. That means my son has discovered he can OPEN the oven. I think locks should be standard features on all ovens.
4) This may be a quirk of mine personally but I am constantly turning on the wrong burner. The one on the far left seems to line up to me on the top burner, but it actually goes to the bottom burner. The second burner to me lines up with the front burner but actually goes to the back burner.
Out of everything, I would say my Dishwasher was the best kitchen improvement. I have yet to find one dirty dish in the time I have been using the new dishwasher. And while we still load like wild animals, the dishwasher seems to get around that and keep the dishes clean.
Overall I was pleased with Maytags customer service. I got to experience what happens when an item isn’t exactly as expected. Lets face it. Mistakes happen, transport issues happen, installation issues happen, and at the end of the day a company that takes responsibility and assists you ever step of the way till its right is what counts. You can learn more about Maytag and get to know all their products here:
I want to thank Mom Central and specifically Kasey for her patience and assistance and Maytag for constantly checking up and making sure that all my questions were answered. Thank you also to my audience for allowing me to share with you about these appliances and assist you in the features and deciding what is right for your house hold.
I wrote this post participating in an Maytag Moms Dependable Kitchen Ambassador program by Mom Central Consulting on behalf of Maytag. I was provided with a Maytag kitchen appliances set, including a refrigerator, microwave, dishwasher, and range to facilitate my post.
Free Printables Monthly!
Get FOUR FREE Child Friendly Printables, perfect for home decor, nursery, or childs bedroom. Just print and frame for instant art- FREE! When you join my mailing list, you will be updated any time I have a new printable so you can be first to download!