Looking for a busy night meal that doesn’t sacrifice nutrition? One of nearly every families staple meals during the week (or month) include macaroni and cheese. And of course, there are a million ways to make it and mix it, from hamburger meat to changing up Velveeta for white cheddar. But nothing says down home meal by throwing it all in the pot with some gorgeous steamed veggies for a Steamed Veggies Mac and Cheese that’s a whole meal in a bowl. Super simple and perfect for after soccer practices or late homework nights, everything is better covered in cheese! This recipe is so easy that your kids can help out as well.
Steamed Veggies Mac and Cheese
- 10 oz macaroni
- 3 Cups milk
- ½ Cup butter
- ½ Cup cornstarch
- 1 Cup mozzarella cheese
- ¼ Cup cheddar cheese
- 1 Cup corn
- 1 Cup tomato, sliced
- 1 Cup broccoli florets
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a pot, boil water with salt.
- Add the pasta and cook as instructed on the packaging.
- While waiting, steam the broccoli, corn, and tomatoes. Set aside
- In a large saucepan over high heat, stir the butter, cornstarch, milk, mozzarella, cheddar, and heavy cream until getting a thick sauce.
- Add the vegetables, mix very well and set aside.
- Once the pasta is ready, drain it and transfer it to the saucepan with the sauce. Stir together.
- Serve in plates and enjoy.
For an Italian version, add sun-dried tomatoes and parmesan cheese.
Looking for more delicious meals? Check out our recipe category for some of these delicious ideas before you go!