As a beach girl living on the Gulf Coast, I could not resist having some beach-y themed decor this year. I mean, hello.
You remember my sons room, right?
But instead of buying some (and there are cute ones!) Charlotte and I decided to ruin my dining room floor with fine grain sand and hot glue.
Fun stuff, this parenting can be.
I am also going to let you in on a secret……….we bought our sand. Yep. 5 trillion miles of ocean and sometimes it’s just a bit quicker and costs less to just stop at Hobby Lobby.
Beach Themed Christmas Ornaments DIY
What you need
- Plastic Balls for decoration (you can use glass too). You get these in the CRAFTING section, not the Christmas section. $7.99
- Bag of Shells, I like the mini ones that include color. $2.99
- Sand. The sand comes in all colors, I just bought regular white sand. $2.49
- String to hang the bulbs .99
1) All we did was create a makeshift funnel to help distribute the sand into the bulbs and then pick out random shells for design. I made sure we didn’t over fill the bulb so it didn’t get too weighted down. After showing Charlotte once, she filled and added shells and I did the hot gluing! Making Beach Christmas bulbs is a very easy craft for about 6 and up as long as you are using plastic. I left the bulbs in the container they came in because this and is really fine and I didn’t want it all over the dining area.
2) My best advice is to hot glue the toppers back on and then use a ribbon and hot glue closed to create the hanging tie. We also added a little blue glitter to some of our bulbs for variety. VERY easy and lots of fun!