I am so excited about this interview! Meet Matt aka “The Mom Dot Man” (LOL) who runs the blogs, Contest Live and Blog about Your Blog. If you post regularly in the MomDot forum you know & love Matt. I just love how he calls himself “The Mom Dot Man. ” And I couldn’t wait to interview a man who thinks blogging is cool!! Enjoy!
1. Congrats on being a MomDot Feature Blogger! Why don’t you start by introducing yourself to our readers!
Well first of all thanks for choosing me! I have been blogging for two years now and have a collection of blogs. Recently I’ve started doing Internet marketing (as well as paid contest promotion). I live with my girlfriend and we have a little boy who is turning 3 this month.
2. How did you arrive on the blogosphere? What got you interested in blogging?
After some family troubles I stopped going to college and we had my son. Nine to five jobs just aren’t for me. I was IMing with a friend on how he was making money online. He suggested blogging, so I made my first blog. Then another, and another! Now I have more than 10 and collaborate on several more.
3. What do you believe is the difference between men and women bloggers – e.g. approach, subject matter, readers, etc.
There really isn’t much different in my opinion, anyone can be a successful blogger. It really depends on the niche I think, something’s come across better from a woman than a man, and vice versa. For women and these mom blogs, its amazing to see them evolve and a lot of women make some serious money with it.
4. Do you feel men bloggers have a greater impact in the blog world than women – such as more readers, more loyalty, wider range of topics/interests, greater appeal to male and female readers alike, etc.
I’d love to see a poll on this. I think there may be MORE men bloggers than women, but I see that quickly changing. The niches I follow have more men, but I have seen an increase in women bloggers. I also think out of the “top bloggers” more happen to be male, but I’d love to see a top female blogger list *hint hint momdot*. An initial impact of bloggers might be more male, but that could easily change as the blogosphere evolves.
5. Do you have any advice for women whose significant male other thinks blogging is uncool?
You really need to appeal to their interests. I just finally got my girlfriend to blog. She was never interested, but loves free samples. Now she is blogging everyday at Free Sample Deals and actually making some money right off the bat. Find what appeals to your significant other and he may start blogging, or at least get interested.
6. Can you give the MomDot readers a “sneak peek” into what’s coming up next for your blog? Any new events, giveaways, interviews, etc.?
I am most excited about Contest Live. The MomDot owners as well as the great members on the MomDot forum are contest crazy and I have been fortunate enough to share my Web site with them. I’d really like to make it a bigger contest resource and have been just looking into expanding and getting a button and WordPress plugin going to make it easier to submit and vote for contests.
7. Can you tell us some ways we can make money from our blogs?
It really depends on what works for you and your blog. With Free Sample Deals, a few dollars were made with Google Adsense, and the rest with an affiliate program. In her first month she made about $50 which is pretty impressive for a first month in my opinion. I think mommy bloggers should really try pushing affiliate programs and products to collect commission from their blogposts.