This week my in laws called and said they were going to be in town and invited us over to a friend of theirs having a 4th of July celebration. Of course panic ensues….OK, now I have to cook. I was assigned a “side dish” and what I made turned out fantastic and every drop was nearly eaten, so I wanted to share for those looking for a great summertime side dish. The original recipe comes from a restaurant called Moosewood and I have altered for my needs, which I am sharing here.
White Bean and Tomato Salad
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans
- 2 garlic cloves, minced ( I probably used over this because I like more garlic)
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced or minced
- 6 celery ribs cut into slices
- 2 tbs lemon (use less if you like less lemon flavor)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- approx 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves chopped up. If you use dried, you will need to cut way down.
- 8 Roma tomatoes cut up into chunks
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (red wine is good, also cider)
- salt and pepper, to taste
1) Combine all above ingredients and chill. You can also serve this without being chilled, but I prefer cold for a refreshing sidedish.