Midnight feedings with a newborn are hard enough, let alone midnight feedings for two. Choosing to keep your newborn twins nearby in a bassinet will make it a little easier for you during those frequent nightly wake up calls.
But twins mean double and we know for many parents space may be an issue. Rather than have two bassinets near your bed, there are a few great bassinets designed with twins in mind.
The bassinets on our list allow you to keep the babies together, but separate, and some of the bassinets on our list work even work well for travel too. No matter what type of bassinet you are looking for, whether a single bassinet or one that can fit both of your twins, there are some things you need to know before choosing the right one for your family.
Bassinet vs. Crib
You may be wondering why it’s a good idea to consider a bassinet rather than a crib. Here are some reasons why a bassinet is a great option for newborn babies, especially twins.
Bassinets make it easy to keep babies close.
As we mentioned in the intro, newborn babies get up a lot in the middle of the night. Rather than running back and forth to their nursery, having them at arm’s reach will make things a little easier for you in the first few months of life.
Cribs are big.
Eventually, you’ll need a crib. But there’s no denying the cribs are big. And with twins, space is a commodity. Bassinets allow you to save on space, even if for the first 3-6 months.
Also, a crib may feel too large for your babies. For newborns, a bassinet is a smaller, cozier space that could provide the most comfortable environment for them.
Bassinets are less expensive than cribs.
There’s no denying there’s a cost difference. Even our most expensive bassinet on this list costs less than many cribs. If you are on a budget, a bassinet won’t break the bank.
Things to consider when choosing a bassinet for your twins
So now that we’ve talked about why bassinets are a great choice for twins, let’s talk about what you need to know before choosing a bassinet for your twins. While there aren’t many bassinets on the market catered specifically to twins, there are some differences between each, and deciding what you need from a bassinet is going to help narrow down your choice.
The first thing you need to consider is the portability of the bassinet. If you are looking for something just for your bedroom, a regular bassinet will do the trick.
However, if you are looking for something that can easily move around and even go with you and your family on vacation, we suggest looking at a bassinet-playard option. These particular bassinets can break down and pack up easily.
Multi-use/Ease of Use
It shouldn’t require a rocket scientist to put together a bassinet, and yet there are some bassinets out there, especially the playard-bassinet combo that can seem like a monumental task to put together. And we get it- you’re busy, and fiddling around with a bassinet for hours is the last thing you want to do.
We chose bassinets that were not only easy to assemble but if need be, easy to transport. And if you are looking for a bassinet that will last a little longer than the first few months of your babies’ life, we highly suggest checking out one of the bassinet-playard options.
Two babies mean two of everything, so staying on a budget is important to many families. Keep in mind that some of the bassinet will work as a playard when your twins get a little older, which allows you to get more bang for your buck.
The Best Bassinets for Twins
You’ve got twins and they need a bassinet. Well, look no further than this list. The following bassinets are perfect to keep your future twins close by.
1. Graco Pack ‘n’ Play Playard with Bassinet for Twins
If you are looking for a multi-use bassinet, this pack ‘n’ play but Graco will do the trick. It is not only a bassinet for your twins but a great playard once they are a little older.
Each bassinet has a canopy to shield babies from the sun or bright lights. The bassinets can be easily removed so the playard can be used. The mesh sides allow for plenty of airflow and the quilted mattress pads will keep your little tots comfy and cozy.
It packs away into an included carrying case, making it a great choice for families who need something that travels well.
- Affordable price.
- Great for travel.
- The air mesh design allows plenty of air to flow through.
- Comfy quilted mattress pads.
- Bassinets can be removed to use as just a playard.
- Some felt it was a little difficult to set up and breakdown.
2. HALO Bassinet Twin Sleeper Double Bassinet
- Perfect sleep solution for families...
- Swivels and rotates 360 degrees to bring...
- Patented lowering bedside wall allows...
- Soothing Center includes nightlight, two...
- Base easily adjusts from 24" to 34" high...
Together but separate, the mesh walls in this bassinet not only allow mom or dad to see in but also allow the twins to see each other. The mesh also ensures your babies will get plenty of airflow. But what we love most is the bassinet rotates 360 degrees so you can get to the baby that needs immediate attention.
The sidewalls of the HALO Bassinet lower so you can easily bring baby into bed with you for night feedings. The sidewall then will automatically go back up after you’ve gotten baby out of the bassinet. The overall height of the bassinet can be adjusted to 24 inches all the way up to 34 inches so that it meets the height of your bed.
The bassinet comes with 2 waterproof mattress pads, 2 cotton fitted sheets, and 2 polyester fitted sheets. Also included is a Soothing Center which acts as a nightlight, provides vibration, lullabies, and soothing sounds as well as a back-to-bed reminder.
- Rotates 360 degrees to let you access each baby easily.
- The height of bassinet can be adjusted.
- It comes with fitted sheets and waterproof mattress pads.
- Soothing Station provides soothing sounds and nightlight.
- The open mesh design allows you to see in as well as the babies to see each other.
- Very expensive.
3. Baby Trend Retreat Twins Nursery Center
- 2 Removable Rock-A-Bye Bassinet with a...
- Plush fabric lining and large wheels for...
- Two toys to entertain baby and deluxe...
- Large changer and removeable bassinet
- Electronic music and night light
Here’s another bassinet/playard combo that works great as a bassinet but will grow with babies to be a playard once they are older. Each bassinet can be removed and has a carrying handle as well as a canopy to shield baby. The larger wheels on the playard allow you to easily move this nursery center wherever you need it.
The Baby Trend Retreat Twin Nursery Center also comes with a “parent-organizer” to allow you to store diapers, wipes and more in order to make caring for your twins a little easier. The music player plays both music and soothing nature sounds to lull babies to sleep and also acts as a nightlight.
This nursery center is not only great for travel but also for everyday use.
- Comfy bassinets have mesh walls for maximum breathability.
- Bassinets each have a carrying handle.
- Parent organizer makes it easy to store diapers, wipes and more for easy access.
- Each bassinet has a canopy and two dangling toys.
- The music center lacking in durability.
4. JOOVY Room2 Nursery Center
- Includes bassinet and changing table...
- Bassinet holds twins up to 15 pounds...
- Great for use with one baby, twins or...
- Changing table holds up to 25 pounds,...
- The changing table is removable and...
JOOVY’s twin bassinet does not disappoint. It has a sleek modern design and a water-resistant surface that makes cleaning it a breeze. One of the top features that we love for twins is the removable wall that allows twins to have some together time in the bassinet.
Moms loved that the bassinet was deep, but not too deep to prevent them from easily grabbing baby 1 or baby 2 out of the bassinet for a middle-of-the-night feeding.
However, we do want to mention the only downside. The playard that this nursery center/twin bassinet sits on is not included. You will need to purchase the playard separately in order to use this nursery center.
- Durable, easy to clean water-resistant surface.
- The removable wall allows twins to be near each other.
- Shallow (but not too shallow) bassinet allows easy access to baby.
- Bassinet works as a changing table too.
- Must purchase playard nursery center sits on separately.
5. Arm’s Reach Concepts Ideal Ezee 3-in-1 Bassinet
- 80% PVC/20% polyester ; The Ideal Ezee 3...
- A 4-inch sleeping nest height.
- Attachment strap and resistant plate to...
- Conveniently portable, folding quickly...
If you are looking for a larger bassinet that allows you to keep your twins together without any barriers, the Arm’s Reach Concepts Ideal Ezee 3-in-1 Bassinet is a great choice. It has plenty of airflow thanks to the open mesh design, as well as a 30-pound weight limit, meaning both babies can sleep in the bassinet together.
This portable bassinet by Arm’s Reach has a 4-inch sleep nesting height as well as a bed attachment strap and plate to keep your babies safe. If you need to keep diapers and wipes nearby, there’s a storage pocket on the bassinet.
This spacious bassinet will provide plenty of room for twins and for parents who do not want any barrier separating the twins.
- Attachment strap and plate hooks onto the bed for safety.
- Plenty of space for twins.
- Storage pockets on sides hold toys, diapers and more.
- Can be used as a bassinet, co-sleeper, and playard
- Initial assembly is difficult.
6. MiClassic 2in1 Stationary & Rock Bassinet
- MiClassic 2in1 bassinet is designed with...
- Surrounded by breathable mesh walls all...
- A lightweight construction makes the...
- This bassinet can be quickly converts...
Although you’ll need to buy two of this particular bassinet, we think the MiClassic 2-in-1 Stationary & Rock Bassinet is worthy of this list. Affordably priced and super portable, the MiClassic bassinet can be easily transported from room to room and features an all-mesh design for optimal airflow as well as visibility.
The MiClassic quickly folds up in order to be transported and comes with a carrying case. The “feet” on the bassinet can be switched to allow the bassinet to rock or to be stationary. This bassinet can hold up to 33 pounds, but the manufacturer notes that it should only be used if baby can not yet push up on hands and knees.
- Easy to transport.
- Comes with carrying case.
- Stationary and rocking option.
- The mattress pad cannot be removed from the bassinet.
- Will need to purchase two bassinets.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How long can my twins use a bassinet?
A: In general, most bassinets will be able to accommodate the babies up to 30 pounds total weight or about 15 pounds each baby. However, some bassinets, like the HALO, can hold a total weight of 50 pounds. Always check the manufacturer’s information to find out the weight, and sometimes height maximum for the bassinet.
Also, keep in mind that once babies can push up on their hands and knees, it’s time to discontinue using a bassinet for safety reasons.
Q: How do I clean the mattress in a bassinet?
A: Crib and bassinet mattress tend to be made from a waterproof or at least water-resistant material, making it easier for you to clean them. As always, make sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Most will suggest cleaning it with some water, mild soap (we strongly suggest fragrance-free!) and a soft sponge or cloth. To remove odors, make a spray of equal parts vinegar and water or lemon juice and water. No more what way you clean the mattress, be sure that the mattress is allowed to fully air dry before putting it back into the crib and putting the fitted sheet or mattress protector on it.
Q: Is a vibrating bassinet safe for my babies?
A: Yes. While it’s not a “must-have” feature, a vibrating function on a bassinet may be a good option to help your baby fall asleep. Vibration can help mimic the motion of a mother moving, hence help a baby to fall asleep.
The Bottom Line
The Graco Pack ’n’ Play is a solid and affordable choice for parents expecting twins. Whether you choose to set it up next to your bed or use it for travel, this portable twin bassinet will grow with your twins to be a playard once their toddlers. (And we love items that grow with children!)