Having extra milk on hand to feed your twins can be a huge help. This can allow someone else to feed one or both twins when you are unavailable to feed them. So whether you are planning on going back to work or just want a stash of milk just in case someone else needs to feed your twins, purchasing a breast pump is the way to go.
We have a list of 8 of the best breast pumps specifically for moms with twins. We took into consideration that time is of the essence and that pumping breast milk should be done quickly, comfortably and efficiently. But not only should a breast pump work well, but it should also meet your budget too, so we included a variety of options no matter what your budget is.
Before we jump into the list, here’s why you might want to consider investing in a breast pump in the first place as well as why an electric breast pump is the best way to go.
Do I really need to get a breast pump?
The short answer is it depends. There are many reasons why new moms, especially moms with twins, should consider purchasing a breast pump. Let’s take a look at why you might want to get a breast pump.
You are going back to work.
Having a supply of milk for your twins will allow them to continue to reap the benefits of breast milk while you are at work.
You want to increase your supply.
Low milk supply can sometimes happen if babies are born prematurely, but no matter what reason, if you have a low milk supply, pumping regularly will help increase it.
You want a break.
Let’s face it. You might just want to be able to take a break. Whether to go run errands or take a nap, having a supply of milk so that your spouse or another person can feed your twins will allow you to take a break without having to worry about if its time to feed them.
You want to donate the milk.
If you produce a lot of milk, more than your children can drink, donating breast milk can be a rewarding option. If you’d like to know more about donating breast milk visit the Human Milk Baking Association at North Ameria at hmbana.org.
Manual vs Electric: Which one should I get?
There is only one manual breast pump on our list. Why? You’ve got twins and as we mentioned before, your time is valuable. And if you are reading this article we assume that you are looking to pump fairly regularly. For most moms, choosing an electric breast pump is a better choice.
However, we did include one highly rated manual breast pump for moms that are looking to pump every now and then or are on a very tight budget. But for daily, regular pumping, and moms that need a steady supply of milk for their twins, we strongly suggest making it easier on yourself investing in an electric breast pump.
The Best Breast Pumps for Twins
Now it’s time to check out which breast pumps are the best for moms with twins. This list features great breast pumps that are safe, efficient and fit nearly any budget.
1. Spectra Baby S1 Plus Premier Rechargeable Electric Breast Pump
- Natural Nursing Technology: Our Spectra...
- Perfect for Travel: The Spectra S1 is...
- Single or Double Pumping: Can be used as...
- Hygienic: Spectra backflow protector...
- Made For Moms, By Moms: We`ve committed...
Spectra Baby knows what mom’s need because the company is owned not only by moms but by nurses and lactation consultants. The Spectra Baby S1 Plus is a hospital grade breast pump that gives you the option to use it as a single or double breast pump. It’s recharging capabilities make it a perfect choice for moms on-the-go.
This breast pump is a closed system pump that features “backflow protection” which not only means less cleaning for you because the milk will not enter the tubing, but it also keeps you safe from harmful bacteria.
The suction on the pump can be adjusted according to your body and milk flow. A unique feature on this breast pump is the “massage mode” which imitates the action of a baby suckling. We also love the night light feature that helps you see so you can easily use the breast pump at night.
- Rechargeable and portable.
- Great for working moms and moms on-the-go.
- Single or double pump option.
- A closed system pump means it’s safer to use and less cleaning.
- Nightlight feature helps moms see when using at night.
- Adjustable suction including a “massage mode.”
- Replacement parts and additional accessories tend to be expensive.
2. Medela Sonata Smart Double Electric Breast Pump
- HOSPITAL STRENGTH: The Sonata’s...
- PORTABLE & EASY TO USE: The rechargeable...
- CLOSED SYSTEM: Never worry about milk...
- QUIET & DISCREET: Sonata has a whisper...
- MORE MILK & COMFORT: Soft-rim and oval...
Medela’s Sonata is like the “lite” version of the Medela Symphony, which is their hospital-grade (and much more expensive) model. Portable, light and rechargeable, the Sonata is perfect for moms who are looking to pump every day.
When Medela calls this a “smart” breast pump, they mean it. The Medela Sonata can connect to the MyMedela app to help you track how frequently you use the breast pump as well as track your babies’ growth, learn about breast milk feeding, and much more.
We know you’ll love how quiet this breast pump. You’ll also love that it’s another closed system breast pump with overflow protection for safety as well as less cleaning for you. The 2 sizes PersonalFit Flex breast shields included with this kit help maximize milk output and can be customized to your body thanks to their flexibility.
- Very quiet.
- Connects to MyMedela app.
- PersonalFit Flex breast shields provide a comfortable custom fit.
- 2-Phase Expression Technology for maximized milk flow.
- Comes with cooler bag and cooling element.
- The battery doesn’t last as long as other rechargeable breast pumps.
3. Philips AVENT Comfort Single Electric Breast Pump
- More comfortable pumping position due to...
- Choose from 3 expression settings (low,...
- Soft, warm stimulation massage cushion...
- Compact, lightweight design for ease of...
If you are looking for something a little more affordable without sacrificing quality, the Philips AVENT Comfort is the breast pump for you. Easy to use and perfect for travel, this compact breast pump is lightweight and uses AA batteries.
As the name suggests, the Philips AVENT Comfort aims to keep you comfortable while using the breast pump. The soft cushion flange massages in order to help stimulate milk flow. It comes with a 25 mm cushion but a smaller size 19.5mm is available for purchase.
Using the Philips Avent Comfort is easy thanks to fewer parts and the three-speed setting plus a stimulation mode to help with letdown. The design of the breast pump itself also allows you to sit comfortably upright in a chair. No leaning over to pump necessary.
- Lightweight and compact design make it great for travel.
- Comfortable cushions help maximize milk flow.
- Unique design allows user to sit comfortably without leaning over.
- Easy to assemble, use and clean.
- Three speeds plus a stimulation mode for letdown.
- A single pump means you can only do one breast at a time.
4. Bellababy Pocket Double Electric Breast Pump
- 👶 A really pocket breast pump,change...
- 👶 Come with a few storage bags, bag...
- 👶 24mm flange size, with a removable...
- 👶 Adjustable suction from 80 mmHg to...
- 👶 Luxury and nice packaging for gift
You will be amazed at how compact and efficient the Bellababy Pocket Double Breast Pump is. This pocket-sized pump is smaller than most phones and can hang from your neck with the included lanyard. And did we mention how super affordable it is?
The Bellababy Pocket has a rechargeable lithium-ion battery. It comes with only one size flange (24mm) but is compatible with other brands’ flanges if you need another size. And while it’s not quite as quiet as other breast pumps on our lists, it’s still relatively quiet.
It has 6 levels of massage as well as adjustable suction. One downside we found is that it is not a closed system which means some extra cleaning.
- So compact you can wear it around your neck while pumping.
- Easy to use.
- 6 levels of massage for letdown as well as adjustable suction.
- Rechargeable and long-lasting charge.
- Adjustable suction.
- Not a closed system. May want to get a backflow protector to prevent milk from going into tubing.
5. Lansinoh Signature Pro Double Electric Portable Breast Pump
If you are on a tight budget but are looking for a double breast pump rather than a single one, the Lansinoh Signature Pro Double is super affordable, easy to use and a great choice for daily pumping.
While it is a double breast pump, it can be used as a double or a single breast pump. Not only does it have 8 suction levels as well as the 2 phase technology for letdown but it also has 3 different pumping styles to suit your preferences.
The ComfortFit Flanges included are 24.5mm size and provide a comfortable, custom fit for optimal suction. Not only do we love that it is a closed system for easy cleanup and safety, but we also love that the breast milk expression set is dishwasher-safe for super easy cleanup.
If you plan on taking this pump on the go keep in mind that this breast pump takes 6 AA batteries that get used up pretty quickly. We suggest sticking to using the AC adapter if possible with this pump.
- It can be used as a single or double pump.
- 3 pumping styles + 8 suction levels.
- The breast milk expression set is dishwasher-safe.
- Not a good option for moms on the go. Batteries drain quickly.
6. Medela Pump in Style Advanced Double Electric Breast Pump
- ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY FOR SUPERIOR...
- CUSTOMIZABLE SETTINGS AND ACCESSORIES:...
- EASY PORTABILITY: Built in to its...
- OVERFLOW PROTECTION: Closed system at...
- INCLUDES: Built-in breastpump in tote;...
The Medela Pump in Style Double Electric Breast Pump is built into a tote bag making this a great choice for travel and moms on the go. It comes with a portable battery pack as well as a removable cooler bag with an ice pack so you are all set to pump no matter where you go.
The one-touch letdown button plus adjustable speed/suction knob is easy to use and the included cooler bag with built-in bottle holders can hold up to 4 bottles of milk. And for those moms who plan on traveling abroad, it comes with a power adapter with dual voltage (110-240v).
- Great for moms who travel.
- It comes with a power adapter with dual voltage.
- Easy to use. Only 1 knob to adjust speed/suction.
- It comes with a cooler bag and ice pack.
- Louder than other breast pumps.
7. Haakaa Silicone Manual Breast Pump
- The award-winning and best-selling...
- The Haakaa Silicone Breastpump lets you...
- Our Haakaa Manual Breast Pump is...
- Mum’s breasts come in all kind of...
- Every mum wants the best for the health...
Having to manually pump can be a pain. Haakaa makes it much easier. If you are looking to only pump occasionally and would like to have a manual breast pump on hand just in case, then the choice is clear. The Haakaa Manual Breast Pump is super lightweight and easy to use, relying on natural suction to get the job done.
The Haakaa Manual Breast Pump is made of food-grade, FDA-approved silicone that is free of BPA, phthalates, and PVC. And cleaning it is a breeze! Simply wash and sterilize with either steam or boiling water.
The Haakaa Manual Breast Pump is available in a 3-ounce and 4-ounce size. We also love that this breast pump can be used while nursing on the opposite breast. Haakaa also makes stoppers that fit in this pump, but stoppers are sold separately.
- Easy to use.
- Very affordable.
- Easy to clean.
- It can be used while nursing.
- Not a good choice for moms looking to pump frequently.
- Must buy stopper separately (and we highly recommend you do!)
8. Ameda Mya Portable Hospital Strength Breast Pump
- LIGHTWEIGHT, COMPACT, & PEACEFUL: With a...
- RECHARGEABLE BATTERY: No outlet, no...
- TRUE CLOSED SYSTEM: Mya’s Closed...
- CUSTOMIZABLE DOUBLE PUMPING: Since no...
- INCLUDES: Ameda Mya - (1) Hospital Grade...
Don’t be deceived by its small size. This portable breast pump by Ameda has the same power as a full-size hospital-grade breast pump. Not only is it small, but it is also lightweight, making it easy for you to take this breast pump wherever you need to go.
The Ameda Mya comes with a rechargeable battery which makes it perfect moms that are on the go as well as for travel. This breast pump comes with an AC adapter too.
The 2-phase suction modes have 10 levels of expression options as well as 5 levels of massage/stimulation to choose from. While it only comes with one size flange (24mm), Ameda also offers two other sizes, 28mm and 30mm, sold separately.
- Ultra-compact. Fits into your hand.
- Very lightweight.
- Easy to use.
- Rechargeable battery.
- 3 different size flanges available.
- 2-phase adjustable suction modes.
- Makes a moderate amount of noise. If you are looking for a quiet breast pump, you may want to consider a different one.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How long does it take to pump breast milk?
A: In the beginning, as you are learning to get used to using the breast pump it may take upwards of 30 minutes, but plan on spending about 15 to 20 minutes of pumping.
Q: When should I pump breast milk?
A: Many women have more milk in the morning. That said, you can pump any time of day. However, make sure to pump at least 30 to 60 minutes after you’ve fed your babies to ensure they have full bellies before you start pumping.
Q: How do you clean a breast pump?
A: For sanitary reasons, make sure to clean your breast pump after every use. Use hot water and soap to clean any parts that have come in contact with your breast or breast milk. Also, make sure to allow all the parts to air dry completely before storing them away.
Some breast pumps have parts that are dishwasher safe but always check with the manufacturer’s instructions first.
Q: What size flange should I use?
A: Most breast pumps come with a standard size flange of 24mm. However, 24mm does not work for every mom. Using the wrong size flange can lead to nipple pain, problems expressing milk and plugged ducts.
To figure out the right size flange, start by using the 24mm size flange with your breast pump. If you notice a pinching feeling on your nipple, or see that your nipple is touching the inside of the tunnel, then the 24mm size is probably too small. If you notice your areola is being drawn into the tunnel while pumping, then the 24mm size is most likely too big.
You should not be experiencing any pain while using a breast pump. If you are experiencing pain while pumping and have tried different size flanges, speak with your healthcare provider or a lactation consultant.
The Bottom Line
If we had to choose only one breast pump it would be the Spectra Baby S1 Plus Premier Rechargeable Electric Breast Pump. This hospital-grade breast pump is perfect for working moms and moms on the go thanks to the rechargeable battery and portable size.
However, if you are on a tight budget, we suggest checking out the Lansinoh Signature Pro Double Electric Portable Breast Pump. It’s not as portable as some of the breast pumps on the list, but it works great and is very budget-friendly.