What kid doesn’t love a great bubble bath? But nowadays, we are all too aware that some of the harsh chemicals that made bubble baths from the days of old so great are actually not so great for kids’ skin.
But don’t fret! Kids can have a great bubble bath that is also gentle on the skin and doesn’t contain any harsh chemicals.
So we’ve taken the time to put together a list of the best bubble bath for kids. But before you head to the nearest store, here’s what you need to know about what’s in kids’ bubble bath including some ingredients you’ll want to avoid.
- The Bubble Factor
- Other Ingredients to Avoid When Choosing a Bubble Bath for Kids
- Make Bath Time Safe
- 10 Best Bubble Baths for Kids
- 1. Honest Calming Lavender Bubble Bath
- 2. Babyganics Bubble Bath, Chamomile Verbena
- 3. Alaffia Everyday Shea Lemon Lavender Bubble Bath
- 4. Burt’s Bees Baby Bubble Bath
- 5. Babytime by Episencial Peaceful Bubble Bath and Shampoo
- 6. California Baby Super Sensitive Bubble Bath
- 7. Johnson and Johnson’s Baby Bubble Bath
- 8. TruKid Yumberry Bubble Podz
- 9. Babo Botanicals Lavender Meadowsweet Calming Bubble Bath
- 10. Baby Mantra 3-in-1 Bubble Bath, Shampoo and Wash
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Bottom Line
The Bubble Factor
A good bubble bath means serious bubbles. Unfortunately, some of the biggest bubbles are made with a product called sodium laureth sulfate or SLS. SLS is harsh on sensitive skin and for some, can cause allergic reactions.
For this reason, we strongly suggest that you stay away from SLS in kids’ bubble bath. Kids’ skin is sensitive, so look for a bubble bath that doesn’t contain SLS.
That said, your child still wants bubbles. I mean, that’s what makes a bubble bath fun, right? The bubble baths on our list do not use SLS to make those oh-so-loveable bubbles. Some of the bubble baths might need a little help getting those bubbles started, though.
A great way to make sure you get the max amount of bubbles from a bubble bath is to pour the soap near the faucet as the bath fills up. Also, using a showerhead can help increase the bubble factor, too.
Other Ingredients to Avoid When Choosing a Bubble Bath for Kids
The ingredients list can look like another language, and while some of the ingredients listed might sound frightening, not all of them are. However, there are a few ingredients that you’ll want to stay away from.
Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLS). As we mentioned above, SLS can cause allergic reactions especially for kids who already have skin conditions such as eczema, dry skin, or extra sensitive skin.
Fragrance. Unless it specifically states what the fragrance is or comes from, avoid it. Fragrance is a generic term used by companies, and for kids and those with sensitive skin, it can potentially cause allergic reactions.
Phthalates. Phthalates are used in everything from toys to beauty products to medical devices and more. Some research has linked phthalates to infertility, allergies, and other health issues.
Make Bath Time Safe
Besides choosing a bubble bath that is safe for kids’ skin and is, of course, oh so bubbly for your little one, there are a few other things we’d like to mention about baths in terms of safety.
- Place a nonskid bath mat at the bottom of the tub to prevent slips.
- Use age-appropriate toys. While bath toys are great, some, like bath markers/crayons, aren’t suitable for toddlers who still might be putting things in their mouths. Check the age of the toy before purchasing it.
- Keep an eye on them. Don’t leave the room. Not even for a minute. An unattended child can slip under even a few inches of water and drown in seconds. Make sure you have everything you need for bath time such as soap, washcloth, and towel, right there and ready to go.
- Consider getting a spout cover so your child doesn’t accidentally hit their head on the metal spout.
10 Best Bubble Baths for Kids
If you are looking for a gentle bubble bath for your little one, we’ve got the list for you. The bubble baths that made our list don’t have any harsh chemicals that might irritate delicate skin, many being suitable for even the most sensitive skin like newborns. So matter which one you choose, they are all safe for kids and are sure to make bath time fun!
1. Honest Calming Lavender Bubble Bath
- Plant based formula: Our ultra-calming...
- Gentle, mild, & tear free: Gentle enough...
- Made without: SLS, sulfates, parabens,...
- Lavender essential oils: Super-calming...
- Honest purpose: We love your babies;...
It’s hard to not love the dreamy lavender scent of this bubble bath. The lavender scent makes this the perfect bubble bath before bedtime, but the other scents available such as Apricot Kiss and Sweet Almond are equally delightful. But if you prefer no fragrance at all, don’t worry. There’s a fragrance-free option too.
This hypoallergenic bubble bath is free from SLS, parabens, artificial fragrances, dyes, and any harsh chemical that could potentially hurt kids’ sensitive skin. However, while it says it’s tear-free, we found that not to be the case. Make sure it doesn’t get into your child’s eyes.
But does it bubble? It does and quite well too! A little goes a long way which means this bottle will last for plenty of bathtimes to come.
- No harsh chemicals and hypoallergenic.
- Calming lavender scent.
- Bubbles great!
- Plant-based formula.
- Not tear-free.
2. Babyganics Bubble Bath, Chamomile Verbena
- Formulated without: Parabens, sulfates,...
- Formulated with: Plant-derived and...
- Tear free
- Pediatrician and Dermatologist tested
Kids will love the bubbles and dreamy chamomile verbena scent. You’ll love that it contains no harsh chemicals and won’t break the bank.
The plant-based formula is pediatrician and dermatologist approved for even the most sensitive skin. Also available in a fragrance-free and orange blossom scent option, this bubble bath will provide a good clean and leave kids’ skin soft and moisturized.
Free from parabens, sulfates, phthalates, artificial fragrances, and dyes, kids will have a gentle but bubbly fun bath. (The secret to extra bubbles for this bubble bath is to use the showerhead when filling the tub!)
- Light chamomile verbena scent.
- Free from harsh chemicals, artificial fragrances, and dyes.
- A good amount of bubbles.
- Nourishes kid’s skin.
- Need to use a lot for a good amount of bubbles.
3. Alaffia Everyday Shea Lemon Lavender Bubble Bath
Gentle, relaxing, and oh so bubblicious. The Alaffia Everyday Shea Bubble Bath is made for kids and their sensitive skin. You and your child will love the lemon lavender scent and the shea butter ensures kid’s skin won’t dry out.
For kids with a gluten allergy, this bubble bath is gluten-free. It’s also free of parabens, dyes, and artificial fragrance and is vegan. Not a fan of lavender? It’s also available in eucalyptus mint, especially great for kids with stuffy noses.
This bubble bath also has a conscience. Alaffia uses 100% certified fair trade ingredients and part of the proceeds go toward that help people out of poverty.
- Light lemon lavender scent.
- Shea butter prevents skin from drying out.
- Gluten-free and vegan.
- 100% certified fair trade ingredients.
- Plenty of bubbles!
- Gentle enough to use every day.
- Not gentle enough for kids with extra sensitive skin, eczema or other allergies.
4. Burt’s Bees Baby Bubble Bath
- BABY BUBBLE BATH: Make bath time fun...
- BABY BATH SOAP: This mild, tear free...
- NATURAL BABY CARE: Burt's Bees...
- CLEAN FRESH SCENT: This safe, effective...
- PEDIATRICIAN TESTED: Clinically proven...
This 99.8% natural formula tested by pediatricians is gentle enough on even the baby’s skin. The key cleansing ingredients in this bubble bath are sunflower oil, coconut oil, and soy proteins.
The original scent is light and pleasant and the formula is tear-free just in case some accidentally get in their eyes. It will, however, take a few capfuls of this bubble bath to get a good bubble.
- Light, pleasant scent.
- 8% natural formula free from SLS, parabens, and phthalates.
- Gentle enough for baby’s skin.
- Tested by pediatricians.
- Tear-free formula.
- Takes a good amount to get a lot of bubbles.
5. Babytime by Episencial Peaceful Bubble Bath and Shampoo
- Country of origin is United States
- Babytime's Peaceful Bubbles helps build...
- Natural and organic pH-balanced to be...
- Item Package Weight: 1.6 lb
Babytime by Episencial was developed by pediatricians and a top-rated EWG verified product. This organic cleaner, gentle enough to use even on newborns, features what they call Actively Health ingredients that help support skin immunity.
Free of any nasty chemicals like SLS, parabens, and fragrance, this light smelling cleanser and bubble bath is a great pick.
- Developed by pediatricians.
- Tear-free formula.
- Extra gentle, even on newborns.
- Supports immunity.
- Free from harsh chemicals.
- It isn’t a great bubble maker.
6. California Baby Super Sensitive Bubble Bath
- Perfect for baby’s first bath - free...
- Made with skin friendly, plant-based...
- Bubble wand included for extra fun!
- Our Super Sensitive collection has no...
- Manufactured in our own California based...
For kids with extra sensitive skin, California Baby is the bubble bath for them. This fragrance-free bubble bath is more expensive than the other bubble bath’s on this list, but it is free of gluten, soy, oat, dairy, and nut (minus coconut).
This plant-based formula provides a surprising amount of bubbles, and California Baby even includes a bubble wand for some extra thrills. This bubble bath is also suitable for kids with eczema and extra dry skin.
- Perfect for extra sensitive skin and those with allergies.
- Plant-based formula.
- Tons of bubbles!
- Comes with a bubble wand.
7. Johnson and Johnson’s Baby Bubble Bath
- 28-fluid ounce bottle of bubble bath
- Gently cleans and makes bath time fun
- For baby girls and boys 6 months and...
- Best for Baby Standards: No Parabens, No...
- Clinically Proven Mildness
A tried and true classic. Johnson’s baby bubble bath is soap-free, paraben-free, phthalate-free, and free of artificial dyes. The familiar dreamy scent will also soothe kiddos before bedtime.
As with other Johnson baby products, this bubble bath is tear-free and affordable. Tested by pediatricians and dermatologists, it is hypoallergenic and suitable for children 6 months and older.
- Affordable price.
- Free of paraben, soap, phthalate, and artificial dyes.
- Light soothing scent.
- Tear-free formula.
- Some ingredients may irritate kids with extra sensitive skin.
8. TruKid Yumberry Bubble Podz
- BUBBLE BATH FOR KIDS – TruKid Bubble...
- NATURAL INGREDIENTS – Made with only...
- YUMBERRY SCENT – TruKid bubble bath...
- PRE-MEASURED – These single use,...
- MADE IN THE USA – TruKid Bubble Podz...
It’s hard to beat how easy bath time can be by simply throwing one of these natural “podz” into the bath and watching it bubble. This package comes with 24 podz that are dermatologist and pediatrician tested and are free of any nasty chemicals.
Not enough bubbles? You can use two podz. These safe, gentle podz make bath time a blast. Kids like the Yumberry scent, but for extra gentle bubbles, it also comes in an unscented version too.
While not the best value on the list, especially if you use 2 podz for every bath, it is a fun treat for a bubbly bubble bath that’s gentle on sensitive skin (and smells great too!)
- No mess. Easy to use.
- Chemical free. All natural ingredients.
- The unscented version is suitable for kids with eczema.
- Gluten-free and tear-free.
9. Babo Botanicals Lavender Meadowsweet Calming Bubble Bath
- 100% GOOD FOR YOUR FAMILY: This calming...
- FORMULATED FOR VERY SENSITIVE SKIN: This...
- PLANT-BASED & HYPOALLERGENIC FORMULA:...
- NO HARSH CHEMICALS OR IRRITANTS:...
- SAFE FOR LITTLE ONES:: Apply to wet...
If you need a little help getting your child calm before bedtime, this bubble bath by Babo Botanical might help. Not only does it contain lavender, a classic go-to soothing scent, it also has meadowsweet extract that is known for its anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties.
This bubble bath is cruelty-free, vegan, gluten-free, as well as free of any chemicals, and suitable for those with soy, dairy, walnut, peanut, and almond allergies. The coconut oil and shea butter in this bubble bath keep kid’s skin super moisturized too.
- Perfect for bedtime. Soothing scent.
- Coconut oil and shea butter moisturize skin.
- Free of gluten, soy, dairy, walnut, peanut, and almond.
- Not tear-free.
10. Baby Mantra 3-in-1 Bubble Bath, Shampoo and Wash
- PURE, SAFE bubble bath, shampoo, and...
- GENTLE ON SENSITIVE SKIN rated "1" on...
- LIGHTLY SCENTED with essential lavender...
- LONG LASTING bottle where a little goes...
- INCLUDES one (1) twelve (12) ounce...
Get it all done at once with this 3-in-1 by Baby Mantra. The soothing aloe keeps kids skin super soft and the lavender scent calms and relaxes your little one, making it especially great for bedtime. What it doesn’t include are harsh chemicals or dyes.
As far as the bubble factor goes, it takes a lot of soap to get a good amount of bubbles for this one. But once you get the bubbles, they last for a long time. This gentle formula is suitable for nearly any skin type and is allergy tested.
- Great for extra sensitive skin.
- Lovely light lavender scent.
- Aloe moisturizes the skin.
- No dyes, chemicals, or preservatives.
- Gluten-free and vegan.
- Need to use a lot to get a good amount of bubbles.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Are bubble baths safe?
A: Generally, yes. However, as we mentioned before, avoid bubble bath soaps that have harsh chemicals, fragrances, and dyes. Kids with a history of urinary tract infections should avoid bubble baths.
Q: What age can my child take a bubble bath?
A: Doctors strongly recommend that kids be at least 3 years old before they start taking a bubble bath. Soaps that are found in a bubble bath can enter into a child’s body via the urethra, which can then cause a UTI.
No matter what age, make sure that kids wash off soap with clean water after they are done in the bath.
Q: How long is too long for my child to bathe?
A: Sitting in the bath too long can strip your child’s delicate skin of its natural oils. We recommend that your child, depending on their age, only stay in the bath for around 10 to 20 minutes. 10 minutes for younger children, and 20 minutes for older children (around age 8 or 9).
Q: What do I do if my child has a reaction to the bubble bath?
A: Even natural bubble bath soaps may cause irritation in sensitive children. If you notice skin irritation, eye irritation, or a rash, flush the skin or eyes with cool, clean water. If a rash develops, rub the area with anti-itch cream. If it persists, consult your child’s pediatrician.
All of these bubble baths for kids are great. They are gentle on skin sensitive, with a few bubble baths suitable for kids with allergies, skin conditions, and extra sensitive skin. Our top pick is the Honest Calming Lavender Bubble Bath. No nasty ingredients, a lovely scent, and a good amount of bubbles so kids will get clean and have fun doing it.