Expecting twins? Twins mean double everything, including car seats. And while there are plenty of great car seats on the market, there are a few things to consider when shopping specifically for car seats for twins.
But don’t worry – we’ve got the list for you. We’ve included car seats that are both budget-friendly and space-friendly, along with car seats that will grow with your twins!
Before we dive into the best car seats for twins, here are a few things you need to look for when it comes to shopping for car seats. The following criteria are especially important for parents of twins and will help you narrow down which car seats are best for you and your family!
In a Hurry? Here’s Our Top Picks…
- In a Hurry? Here’s Our Top Picks…
- What to Look for in Car Seats for Twins
- A Word on the Infant Car Seat Test
- Best Car Seats for Twins
- 1. Graco SnugRide Click Connect 30
- 2. Chicco Compact Secure KeyFit 30
- 3. Graco 4Ever 4-in-1 Convertible
- 4. UppaBaby MESA
- 5. BabyTrend Sit N Stand Tandem Stroller and Car Seat Travel System
- 6. Britax B-Safe 35
- 7. Diono Radian 3RXT All-in-One Convertible
- 8. Safety 1st OnBoard 35
- 9. Maxi-Cosi Mico Max 30
- 10. Evenflo Symphony Elite All-in-One Convertible
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Bottom Line
What to Look for in Car Seats for Twins
The Weight Requirements
Since many twins tend to weigh less than the average weight when they are first born, make sure that the car seat can accommodate their lower weight. There are many car seats that will hold infants as small as 4 pounds, which can be especially important for parents with twins.
Convertible vs Infant Car Seat
The convenience of a carrier that locks into a base is great for carrying your infants around, but as they grow out of infancy and into their toddler years, infant carrier car seats won’t work.
A convertible car seat, on the other hand, will hold infants, toddlers and, children, usually with a weight max of 100+ pounds. Convertible car seats tend to come with a higher price tag, but it’s a great, one-time investment. The downside is, you won’t get the convenience of carriers.
The Size of Your Car
For parents driving vans and SUVs, the size of the car seat won’t be that big of a deal since larger vehicles can easily accommodate two car seats. However, if you do have an older child or have a smaller vehicle, you need to consider the size of both the car seats.
Measure the back of your car seat, not only width-wise but also the depth, from the back of the seat to the front seats. This will help you when selecting a car seat.
Always check to make sure that the car seat is comfortable for your two little ones! Are there any bumps or tags that could irritate their skin? Is the car seat the right size for your twins’ ages? Is the material comfortable against their skin?
As we mentioned before, a convertible car seat tends to be a little more, but it’s also a one-time investment since it will grow with your child. But we understand double the car seats means double the price and we made sure to include more affordable options for parents on a tighter budget.
A Word on the Infant Car Seat Test
When babies are born prematurely (earlier than 37 weeks) or have certain medical conditions, hospitals will require them to undergo an infant car seat test. Parents must provide the car seat they intend to take the child home in, which the baby will then be required to sit in the car seat for a determined amount of time, usually 90-120 minutes, and a nurse will monitor the baby’s oxygen level, breathing, and heart rate.
If your baby, or in the case of twins one or both babies, does not pass the car seat test because they cannot tolerate the semi-reclined position of a traditional infant rear-facing car seat, your doctor may require you to get a car bed. However, the doctor may also wait and repeat the car seat test in order to make sure one or both babies are medically stable.
Best Car Seats for Twins
Now that we’ve looked at some of the criteria for choosing a car seat, let’s get to our top 10 picks! The following picks are great for twins and will fit not only your budget, but your vehicle, and keep your twins safe and comfy.
1. Graco SnugRide Click Connect 30
- Ultra lightweight infant car seat is...
- Grows with and helps protect rear facing...
- 5 point, front adjust harness makes...
- Click Connect system provides a one step...
- Removable newborn head support offers...
Convenience and affordability are key with our top pick. The Graco SnugRide Click Connect 30 is super lightweight making it a little easier to carry around twins as well as lock them in the car seat base.
The weight minimum is 4 pounds and holds infants up to 30 pounds. This is a rear-facing-only car seat, which means your twins will only be able to use this as infants. It comes with a special cushion to support newborns heads as well as a standard 5-point harness to keep babies secure in the car seat.
Getting your twins in and out of the car is a breeze thanks to Graco’s Click Connect System. The carrier is also compatible with Graco Click Connect Strollers (sold separately) to make the transition from car to a stroller easy.
- Perfect for newborns
- Easy to lock into the car seat base
- Holds infants as low as 4 pounds
- Compatible with Graco Click Connect Strollers
- Lightweight design makes it easier to carry
2. Chicco Compact Secure KeyFit 30
- The #1-rated infant car seat in America!
- Easiest to install with Recline Sure...
- Designed for travel system use with...
- Removable new-born head and body...
- 5-point harness with easy-pull...
Like the Graco SnugRide Click Connect 30, the Chicco Compact Secure KeyFit 30 holds infants that weigh as little as 4 pounds (up to 30 pounds). Chicco provides a special insert for infants they weigh 4 to 11 pounds to keep them extra secure in the seat.
The KeyFit 30 easily clicks onto the included base and can be removed with just one hand. The base is relatively easy to install and has a built-in level that Chicco calls their RideRight bubble to make sure the base is set up correctly. It also has a Chicco’s SuperCinch Tightener to make sure the base is secure on the seat.
The KeyFit 30 carrier clicks into Chicco Strollers, as well, and the canopy can be easily removed.
- Easy to install in car with RideRight Bubble and SuperCinch Tightener
- Special cushioning insert for babies 4-11 pounds
- Available in three design options
- Compatible with Chicco Strollers
- Price is on the higher side
3. Graco 4Ever 4-in-1 Convertible
Our first convertible car seat on the list! This convertible car seat by Graco covers all 4 stages including rear-facing infants as small as 4 pounds, changing to a booster seat that can hold kids up to 10 years old and 120 pounds.
The super comfy 4Ever 4-in-1 Convertible can be set up easily because of its InRight Latch System that is compatible with most vehicles. The car seat itself has a 6-position recline and 10-position adjustable headrest so it grows with your child’s height. It comes with an infant cushioning insert giving infants the extra support they need.
While this car seat is not compatible with a stroller, it will last you up to 10 years. If you are looking for a one-time investment for your twins, then this one is for you.
- Converts 4 ways to hold infants and kids up to 10 years old
- 10 position headrest and 6 position incline
- InRight Latch System makes this car seat easy to install
- 2 cup holders on the car seat
- Comes with infant cushioning insert for support
- Padding isn’t quite as comfortable as other car seats on the list
4. UppaBaby MESA
- NEW! 2018 MESA Infant Car Seat
- SMART Secure system installs in seconds
- Adjustable no-rethread headrest with...
- Attaches to VISTA and CRUZ strollers...
- SPF hideaway canopy; Carry handle with...
This is the crème-de-la-crème of car seats, and for your twins, this ultra-lightweight car seat will keep babies safe, secure, and comfy. That said, the super-luxe experience comes with a higher price which may turn off some parents.
Installing this car seat was simple thanks to the self-retracting latch connectors UppaBaby calls the SmartSecure System. What makes the fabric stand out from other car seats is that it is made of super-soft Merino wool. The wool is free of chemicals and helps keep babies cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
Suitable for infants as small as 4 pounds, the MESA comes with a special infant insert for babies 4-8 pounds. The carrier is compatible with VISTA and CRUZ stroller systems.
- Comfortable fabric and padding
- Fabric is free of chemicals and easy to clean
- SmartSecure System makes it easy to install
- Comes with an infant insert for babies as small as 4 pounds
5. BabyTrend Sit N Stand Tandem Stroller and Car Seat Travel System
- DOUBLE STROLLER: Tandem double stroller...
- DOUBLE STROLLER FEATURES: Includes 5...
- TRAVEL SYSTEM COMPATIBLE: The double...
- INFANT CAR SEATS: This car seat duo...
- CAR SEAT FEATURES: Contains a 5-point...
If you are looking to buy a whole travel system that’s perfect for twins, check out this BabyTrend Sit N Stand Tandem Stroller and Car Seat Travel System. It includes two carriers, two-car bases, and a stroller.
The one-hand seat release handle on the carriers makes it easy to move the carrier from the car seat base to the stroller. The stroller has a one-handed folding function for a quick break down, but be warned, it’s pretty heavy.
The carriers are suitable for infants as small as 4 pounds and have a weight max of 35 pounds, but the stroller will outlast the carriers since it has a standing platform for children.
- Great value. Comes with carriers, car seat bases, and stroller
- The stroller can be used with or without carriers
- The stroller can be broken down via one hand release handle
- Suitable for infants as small as 4 pounds
- The stroller and carriers are heavy
6. Britax B-Safe 35
- Surrounded in safety: a layer of side...
- Easy installation: use safe center latch...
- Relax and recline: spring assisted...
- Travel system ready: compatible with...
- Fits: rear facing 4 to 35 pounds, seat...
As the name suggests, the Britax B-Safe 35 is as safe as it gets. Britax incorporates their SafeCell Impact Protection in this car seat which includes the steel frame and the base that will compress in order to absorb the shock during a collision.
Like the other car seats on this list, installation is easy with the Latch Connectors, but Britax includes center-pull straps to make it even easier. As an added bonus, the Britax B-Safe 35 comes in 4 colors: Ashton, Cardinal, Dove, and Raven.
The only downside to this car seat is that the carrier is heavy. The carrier, however, is compatible with Britax strollers for easy transition from car to stroller.
- Offers superior protection thanks to the SafeCell Impact Protection system
- Easy to install thanks to the center pull strap and Latch connectors
- Carrier works with Britax strollers
- Comes in 4 colors
7. Diono Radian 3RXT All-in-One Convertible
- JOY OF THE JOURNEY: From birth, keep...
- THREES NOT A CROWD: For safety that fits...
- LOVINGLY ENGINEERED: The Radian 3RXT is...
- BUSINESS CLASS COMFORT: Inspired by the...
- MADE OF SEATTLE: We are from Seattle, a...
Is it safe? Yes. Will grow with your twins? You bet.
We love the Diono Radian despite the higher price tag. But when you weigh the pros and cons, you’ll see the pros definitely win out.
The Diono Radian 3RXT will work for children 5 pounds up to 120 pounds. Its compact size makes it so you can easily fit two of these convertible car seats in your back seat with even room for one more. We also love that it’s available in 11 colors including black, plum, red, blue, and dark grey.
The SuperLATCH system makes a loud click as well as has a visual locking indicator so you know it’s locked correctly into place. The knit fabric is comfortable and very easy to clean. Simply throw it in the washer!
- Can fit up to 3 of the Radians in a back seat
- SuperLATCH system makes it easy to install
- Available in 11 stylish colors
- Works for kids up to 120 pounds
- Higher price tag
8. Safety 1st OnBoard 35
- Give your baby a safe and secure fit for...
- Featuring ultra-lightweight construction...
- Adjust your child's fit in the seat with...
- When travel takes you away from home,...
- Easy to clean, the seat pad removes...
Staying within a budget can be tough when you’re buying for two. That’s why we made sure to include this Safety 1st OnBoard 35. And just because it is more affordable than other car seats doesn’t mean it lacks in quality.
The OnBoard 35 is lightweight but very durable, providing the side impact protection your babies need. It has 4 harness heights in order to adjust to your ever-growing child. For the extra small tots, there is a support newborn insert to provide extra protection.
The carrier is compatible with QuickClick strollers. The covers are machine washable as well for easy cleaning. The base isn’t as easy to install as the other infant car seats on this list, but once installed, it was easy to remove and click-in the carrier.
- Machine washable cover
- Lightweight carrier
- Works with QuickClick strollers
- Includes newborn inserts for extra support
- Difficult to install base
9. Maxi-Cosi Mico Max 30
- Rear-facing 4-30 pounds and up to 32...
- Lightest premium car seat in its class...
- Air Protect Superior Side Impact...
- Adjustable, stay-in-car base with...
- Easily removable fabrics for cleaning;...
Super light and super cozy, the Maxi-Cosi Mico Max 30 is compact, lightweight, and perfect for parents expecting twins. What makes this car seat and carrier unique is the anti-rebound bar that provides extra safety.
Compatible with Maxi-Cosi Quinny stroller, the Mico Max 30 is suitable for 4-30 pounds and is easy to clean because of the self-wicking fabric. The extra-long canopy with a flip-out visor provides plenty of sun protection for your little ones.
This car seat comes with the Cozi-Dozi insert to provide support for extra small tots. We think that’s its shining feature though is how lightweight the carrier is, which comes in handy when you’re carrying two!
- Ultra-lightweight design
- Long canopy plus visor for sun protection
- Comes with newborn insert
- Compatible with Maxi-Cost Quinny stroller
- Machine washable
- Won’t work in smaller vehicles
10. Evenflo Symphony Elite All-in-One Convertible
- THE ULTIMATE ALL-IN-ONE CAR SEAT: The...
- REAR – FORWARD – BOOSTER SEATING: In...
- EXCLUSIVE LATCH TECHNOLOGY: The Evenflo...
- ENGINEERED FOR ENHANCED SAFETY: The...
- TRUSTED FOR NEARLY 100 YEARS: Evenflo...
If you really don’t want to buy multiple car seats as your child grows, then a convertible is the way to go. This convertible car seat by Evenflo will grow with your children and provide the safety they need.
The Symphony Elite All-in-One Convertible Car Seat has a weight range of 5-110 pounds and has a 5-pound Infinite Slide Harness that can be adjusted according to your child’s height.
This car seat is a little on the larger side, making it great for SUVs, mini-vans, and larger vehicles. Installation was pretty easy with the SureLATCH connectors but luckily, Evenflo also provides free live video installation support to help you install it correctly if you’re having trouble. When installed correctly, the safety this car seat provides is top-notch.
- Grows with child 5-110 pounds
- Slide harness is easy to provide an accurate fit
- Foam liner is comfortable and supportive
- Parentlink customer support to help with installation
- The larger size means it only works well in larger vehicles. Large size may also make it tricky to install correctly
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How do I install a car seat?
A: First, refer to the manufacturer’s instructions. They will provide step-by-step instructions on how to install the car seat. If you are having problems or are unsure if you have installed the car seat correctly, visit the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website to find a local station that can help.
Q: How long do I need to keep my babies rear-facing in a car seat?
A: If you think rear-facing car seats are for babies, think again. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration recommends that parents keep children in a rear-facing car seat until they can no longer fit in their seats which for most children is at about 4 years old.
Placing a car seat rear-facing has been proven to keep kids safest in the event of an accident. No matter what car seat you choose, be sure to read the manufacturer’s instructions to find out the weight and height limit of the car seat.
Q: My child spilled food/drink on the car seat. How do I clean it?
A: First, check the manufacturer’s instructions to find out the best way to clean the car seat. All car seats can be vacuumed regularly to get crumbs that may fall into the nooks and crannies of the seat. You may also need to remove the car seat itself to see if any food or drink has gotten on the seat of your car.
In general, most car seats have a removable cover that can be hand washed in the event of a spill. Never soak the car seat cover though. Hand wash with a mild detergent and hang to dry.
Unless noted by the manufacturer, we strongly suggest you do not put the cover in the washing machine as it may wear out the cover prematurely.
If you are on the hunt for a car seat or rather two car seats for your twins, then we highly recommend the Graco SnugRide Click Connect 30. It is our top pick because we love that it’s not only safe and comfortable but comes at a fair price.
Two SnugRide Click Connect 30s will fit comfortably in most vehicles, but as we mentioned before, for parents with sedan and compact cars, be sure to measure your back seat first. As an added bonus, it’s also compatible with Graco’s Click Connect Strollers, so moving out of the car and onto a stroller takes only a couple of clicks.
We hope you enjoyed our article covering the best car seats for twins!