Do you have memories of your mother simmering something delicious on the stovetop in her big colorful ceramic Dutch oven? Or perhaps you remember your grandmother’s lovely casserole dish that always had something good baking? There’s a reason why that ceramic pot or pan was their go-to cookware.
Ceramic is nothing new to the cooking world and has been a must-have for home cooks everywhere, and for good reason. But what makes ceramic superior to other cookware?
Well if you are looking to recreate the same dishes your mom or grandma did and looking to use the same tried and true cookware they did, we’ve got a list of the best ceramic cookware sets that you’re sure to love.
There have been some changes through the years, and there are now sets that tout the benefits of ceramic without being solid ceramic.
If you are in the market for a ceramic cookware set, keep reading to find out why ceramic cookware is superior and the 10 sets that are our top picks.
In a Hurry? Here’s Our Top Picks…
Why Ceramic Cookware?
So what makes ceramic cookware such a great choice compared to stainless steel, copper or a traditional nonstick cookware set?
The number one reason people love to cook with ceramic cookware is that it is nonstick. And not just nonstick, but a safe nonstick.
Nonstick coated cookware made from Teflon can contain some nasty chemicals such as PFOA. Ceramic cookware, on the other hand, does not contain any carcinogenic chemicals, making it environmentally friendly and healthy.
Little to No Oil or Butter
This goes along with its exceptional nonstick quality but deserves a mention on its own. Not having to use much oil means food will have fewer calories, making it not only an easy cooking experience but a healthier one too.
Ceramic cookware is also much more affordable than copper and some stainless steel sets. Most of the sets on this list will have you and your kitchen completely stocked with pots and pans for under $200, but usually much less.
Easy to Clean
There are no special care requirements for ceramic. No polishing or scrubbing. Many of the sets on this list are dishwasher friendly, but hand washing any of them is easy too.
Some of the pans on this set are so easy to clean if you are only doing some light cooking, such as making an omelet, simply use a soft cloth to wipe the pan and voila! You are done.
What are PTFE and PFOA?
As we mentioned before PTFE and PFOA are the bad stuff found in some other nonstick cookware. But what exactly are they?
PTFE (AKA Teflon)
PTFE stands for polytetrafluoroethylene, better known as Teflon, is a man-made chemical that has been used for nonstick coatings since the 1940s. And while PTFE itself is pretty harmless, the chemicals used to make it can be potentially harmful.
PFOA, also known as Perfluorooctanoic acid, is used when making Teflon and other chemicals, and although it burns off during the process, there are still amounts left at the end.
While PTFE is not a cancer-causing chemical, some studies show that PFOA is. While the long-term effects of PFOA are not yet known, it is clear that when PTFE is heated to a high heat and the fumes are inhaled, individuals can experience flu-like symptoms.
Ceramic Coating and Solid Ceramic
If you notice online many cookware sets use the word ceramic-coated and ceramic interchangeable. But there is a big difference between cookware that is made entirely of ceramic and cookware that is simply ceramic-coated. Let’s take a closer look at each one.
Solid ceramic pots and pans are made of clay, kiln-baked and coated with a special glaze. Solid ceramic cookware will not contain any metal, unlike ceramic-coated cookware.
Solid ceramic can usually withstand higher heat than ceramic-coated cookware. It also lasts longer. Since there is no coating, you won’t need to worry about any flaking or chipping.
*Note: Be careful when purchasing solid ceramic cookware, especially sets that are antique or older sets, because the ceramic glaze can potentially contain lead.
Ceramic-coated pans are a great alternative to Teflon-coated pans. Pots and pans made of aluminum or another metal are coated with ceramic enamel. The ceramic coating is non-stick, like Teflon but does not contain any nasty chemicals such as PFOA.
A popular base for ceramic-coated pans is aluminum because aluminum is a good conductor of heat and helps cook food evenly and helps heat the pot or pan up quickly.
You’ll also notice a couple of sets feature copper. Copper is great when paired with ceramic because copper cooks food evenly while ceramic provides a perfect, healthy nonstick surface.
Ceramic-coated pans can chip if you use metal utensils or abrasive sponges to clean it. Over time, it will wear, and if used daily, will probably need to be replaced about every 3 to 5 years.
While you can still find solid ceramic, ceramic-coated pans are more readily available to purchase.
Caring for Ceramic Cookware
Like we mentioned before, ceramic cookware is very easy to clean thanks to the nonstick property of ceramic. However, there are a few things you should know before you start scrubbing your cookware.
For the longest life, hand wash it. Many of the cookware sets on this list are dishwasher safe. However, hand washing ceramic is the best way to go. It will ensure you get the longest life out of the ceramic, especially the nonstick surface.
Allow your ceramic cookware to cool completely before washing with hot water. Not doing so could make your cookware warp.
Keep those abrasive sponges and wire brushes away from your ceramic pots and pans! They may remove the coating. Instead, use a non-abrasive sponge to wash it.
If for some reason food does get burned on, check out this video to show you how to clean your ceramic cookware!
Tips for Cooking with Ceramic Cookware
Cooking with ceramic cookware is much like cooking in other non-stick pots and pans. Here are a few tips to keep in mind when cooking on ceramic cookware:
Use plastic or wooden utensils when cooking. This will prevent the ceramic coating or glaze from chipping.
Use low to medium heat when cooking on your stovetop. High heat can damage your cookware.
Do not use aerosol cooking sprays when cooking with ceramic cookware. Sprays can leave a residue on the pan that is very difficult to get off. Instead, use a little bit of butter or oil.
Most are oven safe up to 400 degrees. But be sure to check the manufacturer’s care instructions first. Solid ceramic can withstand higher heats than ceramic-coated pots and pans.
Do not place ceramic cookware under a broiler. Ceramic cannot hold up to that sort of intense high heat.
Buying a set of cookware rather than buying piece by piece can save you some big bucks. But what do you need to set up a kitchen? Most of the sets on this list will cover the basics, but here are some “must-have’s” you’ll want for your kitchen:
- Saucepans are much more than just for cooking sauce. You can steam veggies, make glazes, cook rice and other grains, boil smaller portions of pasta and more. A 2- or 3-quart saucepan is great for doing all of the above.
- These type of pots are big and perfect for boiling pasta for a family or making soup or as the name suggest, stock. A 6- to 8-quart stockpot is great for families.
- Skillets have slanted sides and can range anywhere from 5-inches to 14-inches! If you are going to be making some omelette or frittatas, consider one that is on the smaller end (i.e., 6-,7- or 8-inches) and a large one for frying up meat and vegetables.
- Saute pan. These type of pans look similar to skillets, but have taller sides and usually come with a lid. Perfect for frying up meat, making a sauce or stir-frying some veggies.
*Optional: Dutch Oven. While not a “must-have” for some, definitely worth a mention. Dutch ovens are very versatile and can do everything from sear meat, make soup, boil water and even make bread. These pots can be used on the stovetop and oven.
10 Best Ceramic Cookware Sets
So now that you know what makes ceramic such an amazing cookware and you know how to care and cook in it, it’s time to find the right set for you!
The list below has a mix of solid ceramic and ceramic-coated cookware, each with their pros and cons. Most are very affordable and all are easy to cook with (and easy on the eyes!)
1. Cuisinart Advantage Ceramica XT Cookware Set
- SET INCLUDES: 1.5-quart Saucepan with...
- ULTIMATE CONVENIENCE: Experience...
- EXCEPTIONAL HANDLING: Each piece has a...
- PREMIUM COOKING: Experience professional...
- WARRANTY: Lifetime warranty– Refer to...
Cuisinart has developed its own ceramic coating called Ceramica XT. It is reinforced with titanium which means it is durable, won’t easily flake or chip and provides a great nonstick surface.
The aluminum core allows the cookware to heat up quickly and evenly. The final outer layer is a metallic finish that gives the set an attractive look. It comes in black or red.
The silicone handles stay cool while cooking food and the tempered glass lids allow you to see what’s going on in them without letting the heat escape.
While this set is oven safe only to 350 degrees, it is freezer safe which means you can store food straight from stove to freezer.
This set is very affordable and comes with all the basics a beginner or advanced home cook needs including 2 saucepans, a sauté pan, a large stockpot, 2 skillets, and a steamer insert. The saucepans, sauté pan and stockpot come with lids.
- Very affordable set.
- Great for beginner cooks.
- Comes with everything you need to set up a kitchen.
- Durable nonstick ceramic coating lasts.
- Oven safe only to 350 degrees.
- Cannot be used on induction cooktops.
2. Vremi 8 Piece Ceramic Cookware Set
- COOKWARE MADE for SERVING - This 8 piece...
- CERAMIC COATING for EVEN HEATING - This...
- MODERN with STEAM RELEASE DESIGN -...
- INDUCTION STOVETOP FRIENDLY - Each piece...
- 3 COLOR OPTIONS - Premium pots and pans...
The set is definitely a blast from the past! The design and color choices are fun, but this set isn’t just for looks.
This set is ceramic marble coated with an aluminum body and is non-toxic as well as nonstick. The pieces are dishwasher safe, but the downside is they are not oven safe.
In this set, you’ll get 2 dutch ovens, a casserole pot, and 2 fry pans. This set works on all cooktops, including induction, and lids are included for everything minus the fry pans.
The lids have a steam release design, so there is no boilover. The handles look like wood, but are made of Bakelite (a kind of plastic) and stay cool.
The set comes in a cool blue, a bright sunny yellow or a retro green making it great for cooking but also a showstopper when serving food.
- Fun color choices!
- The ceramic coating prevents food from sticking and won’t chip.
- Dishwasher safe.
- Great to serve food in!
- Cannot use this set in the oven.
3. Finnhomy 14-Piece Aluminum & Ceramic Cookware Set
- FAST & EVEN HEATING - Colorful porcelain...
- DOUBLE LAYER NONSTICK COATING - New...
- HIGH HEAT AVAILABLE - Safe for all...
- SUPER VALUABLE SET - The cookware set...
- HEAT INSULATION HANDLE - Stay-cool...
This stylish “Agave Blue” set comes with a total of 14 pieces, including utensils. This cookware combines an FDA approve double nonstick ceramic coating, the even cooking of aluminum and the stylish colorful porcelain enamel exterior.
The ergonomic handles are sturdy to handle this heavier cookware set and the soft silicone construction is comfortable. The handles are also double-riveted which means it’s extra stable. As a bonus, the handles match the Agave Blue enamel of the pots and pans.
This set comes with 2 saucepans with covers, a stockpot with cover, 2 fry pans and a sauté pan with cover. The lids are made of glass so you can keep an eye out on your dishes as they cook. Included with the set is 4 cooking utensils.
Unfortunately, this set is not induction cooktop compatible, but it does work great on all other stovetops.
- Great color and design!
- Cooks food evenly. No hot spots.
- Can handle high heat on cooktop.
- Ergonomic handles match the enamel exterior of the pan.
- The nonstick ceramic coating is durable and FDA approved.
- The sizes of the pots and pans are on the smaller sizes and might not work for larger families.
4. GreenPan Paris Pro 11-Piece Ceramic Cookware Set
- Cookware Set Includes: 8", 9.5", and 11"...
- GreenPan’s Thermolon healthy ceramic...
- Metal utensil safe, this collection's...
- Tough Hard Anodized bodies are...
- Oven and broiler safe up to 600°F
As their names states, this is a “green” set. GreenPan was the first company to invent a safe, nontoxic ceramic coating. In this set, their Thermolon nonstick coating does just that.
The coating won’t release any harmful fumes even if you accidentally turn the burner on high. It does not contain lead, cadmium, PFOA or PFAS.
The special coating is reinforced with minerals so that it is durable enough to withstand metal utensils. The body is made of anodized aluminum and is heavy and durable, providing a sturdy platform to cook in.
The set is so durable you can even stick it in the dishwasher. It is also oven safe too. As a side note, while it can withstand high heat, don’t use high heat! Food will stick.
Included in this set 3 fry pans. 2 saucepans with lids, a sauté pan with a lid and a covered casserole dish with cover. While this set costs a little more than the others on the list, it is worth every dollar.
- Heavy, durable body and nonstick coating.
- Nonstick coating is free of nasty chemicals.
- Dishwasher and oven safe.
- Can withstand heat up to 600 degrees!
- Higher price tag.
5. T-fal 14-Piece Ceramic Cookware Set
- Award Winning: Voted “Best Value...
- Durable Aluminum Construction and...
- Thermo-Spot Technology: Unique heat...
- Ergonomic Handle and Even Heat Base:...
- Dishwasher and Oven Safe: Up to 350°F...
It looks like gold and cooks like it too. Luckily, the price tag is much lower than you would expect for this set.
This is another set that can withstand high heat (570 degrees) without blistering or peeling. But that doesn’t mean you should cook with high heat. Food might stick! When using low to medium heat, it will cook food evenly and quickly.
Easy to clean, the nonstick coating did a great job preventing food from sticking. Another dishwasher safe set to make cleaning extra easy. Also, the white ceramic coating interior is stain-resistant so the white stays white.
The design of the pans is unique especially the curved and large handles, and the gold finish might not suit all kitchens.
The set comes with 2 fry pans, 2 sauce pots, a Dutch oven, and 4 nylon utensils. This ceramic coating is resistant to scratches and metal utensils can be used with this set. This set is also environmentally friendly because it is recyclable.
And the price is so insanely low for all you get, you might even buy a set for a friend or family member.
- Very affordable.
- Can withstand accidental high heat with affecting the coating.
- The large set comes with perfect sized cookware.
- Ceramic coating is stain resistant.
- The set is recyclable.
- Can use metal utensils. Scratch resistant coating.
- Some might not like the gold exterior or unique design.
6. GreenLife Soft Grip 16-piece Set
- Cookware set includes: 4” mini frying...
- Our healthy and easy-to-clean ceramic...
- Soft Grip Bakelite handles are designed...
- Made from recycled aluminum and...
- Dishwasher safe, but most messes wipe...
Here’s another affordable, “green” set that comes in fun colors and leaves behind all those pesky chemicals. What makes this coating unique? It’s made of sand.
Their unique process of taking sand and making into a spray solution to cover the aluminum body definitely sets this cookware apart from the rest.
But not only that, when the pan is cured the process produces more than half the amount of CO2 emissions as traditional nonstick does.
It’s “green” but it’s also cute too. The set comes in turquoise, lavender, burgundy, and black— ensuring there’s a color for everyone!
This set also comes with a lot 2 regular fry pans, a mini fry pan, 2 saucepans, a stockpot, a sauté pot, a steel steamer, and 4 utensils. You’ll definitely get your money’s worth out of this set.
- Good for your health and the environment.
- Great color choices.
- Affordable price.
- Comes with utensils.
- Dishwasher safe.
- The bottom of the pan can get scratched up.
7. Concord 3-Piece Ceramic Coated Copper Cookware Set
- These Cookware are made with High Grade...
- Features Fully polished stainless steel...
- Ceramic Coating is a healthy and Eco...
- Set Includes 8", 9.5", and 12" Frying...
- NO PTFE NO PFOA.
Copper is great at conducting heat, cooking food evenly and is very durable. Add ceramic to the mix and you have a long-lasting nonstick cookware set that will last year for a generation (or two).
The nonstick “Coppe-ramic” coating works great and won’t peel, chip or blister. It is free of PTFE and PFOA. This set works on all cooktops including induction.
It is a small set. It comes with an 8-inch, a 9.5-inch, and a 12-inch frying pan. If you are looking for more of a complete set, this obviously wouldn’t work. The price tag is also higher because it is copper.
This set is durable enough to hold up to the dishwasher, but we strongly suggest you hand wash it to get the longest life out of the pans.
If you love the look of copper and want the nonstick benefits of ceramic, this is the set for you.
- Beautiful copper look.
- Induction cooktop compatible.
- Free from PTFE and PFOA.
- Durable pans won’t scratch or chip.
- Only comes with 3 pans.
8. Cuisinart Elements 10-Piece Cookware Set
- PTFE/PFOA free and petroleum-free
- Cuisinart Easy Grip Silicone Handle
- Oven safe up to 350 degrees
- Tempered Glass Cover
- Easy to Clean
Need the basics? Cuisinart has got you covered. The simple set is great for beginners or someone who is starting out on their culinary adventures in a new kitchen.
This set comes in red or champagne and includes 2 skillets, 2 saucepans, a stockpot, and a sauté pan. The saucepans, sauté pan and stockpot come with tempered glass lids so you can see what’s cooking. The set free of PTFE, PFOA, and petroleum.
The ergonomic silicone handles make the pots and pans easy to grip and do not get hot, even when placed in an oven.
The set is oven safe only to 350 degrees. The exterior enamel did chip on the bottom and the ceramic coating might not last quite as long as others on this list.
- Simple, classic design with two color choices.
- Oven safe to 350.
- Silicone handles are comfortable and non-slip.
- The coating may scratch, flake or stain with heavy use.
9. BulbHead 10-Piece Red Copper Cookware Set
- Tough-grade copper-infused ceramic...
- Non-stick and scratch-resistant cooking...
- Oven safe up to 500-degrees Fahrenheit
- PFOA and PFTE free for your safety
- 10-piece set includes: 8-inch fry pan,...
Here’s another copper-infused ceramic cookware set that is scratch resistant, nonstick and is oven safe to 500 degrees. This set also comes with a lot more than the other one including a frying pan, another frying pan with cover, 3 saucepots with covers and a steamer insert.
The Red Copper, which is the non-toxic copper-infused ceramic coating on this cookware set, is extremely durable and the nonstick quality of the pan means food does not stick and very little, if any, oil is needed when cooking. However, for this particular set, you will need to season the pan before using and season it occasional to maintain its nonstick quality.
While this set is oven safe, note that the lids are not, so be sure to remove before sticking them in the oven. The handles also are not heat resistant and may get hot, so handle with care.
The set is tough enough to hold up to the dishwasher but easy to clean simply by wiping it with a cloth if doing “light” cooking such as eggs.
- Even, fast cooking thanks to the copper.
- Nonstick works well and contains no harmful chemicals.
- Copper and red exterior are attractive.
- Very easy to clean.
- You will need to season the pan at first and occasional thereafter.
- Handles may get hot!
10. WearEver 15-Piece Ceramic Cookware Set
- Durable Ceramic coating is stain and...
- Soft-touch and riveted handles for...
- Easy-clean exterior and easy-release...
- Nonstick Ceramic coating is metal...
- Safe for all cooking surfaces, except...
This is the biggest set on the list! If you need a bit of everything without spending a fortune, this set is for you. It comes with 3 saucepans with covers, a 5-quart Dutch oven with cover, a sauté pan with cover, 2 fry pans, a large fry pan with cover and a steamer insert!
The ceramic coating on this set has no cadmium, lead or PFOA and is recyclable. The aluminum base is heavy and distributes heat for even cooking, while the durable and thick ceramic coating is scratch resistant.
The cookware can withstand high heat (a super high 750 degrees!) without blistering or peeling and will work on all cooktops except induction. It is oven safe up to 350 degrees.
These pots and pans cleaned up easily and are dishwasher safe. While it says it is stain resistant, stains did end up forming after a lot of use.
- Can withstand high heat on stovetop and 350 degrees in the oven.
- Large set for an affordable price.
- Aluminum base cooks food evenly.
- Soft touch handles are comfortable to grip.
- Dishwasher safe.
- The pots and pans are recyclable.
- Cadmium-, PFOA- and lead-free.
- White coating stains after time.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Why is my food sticking to the ceramic cookware?
A: One reason your food may be sticking is you are adding cold food to a hot pan. Make sure the ingredients, if from the refrigerator, come to room temp before adding to the pain.
Another reason is that your pan isn’t preheated yet. To see if it is preheated, add a little butter to the pan. If it bubbles, it’s ready. Also, use only butter or oil. A little goes a long way too.
Q: Can you use ceramic on an induction cooktop?
A: It depends. Solid ceramic cookware cannot be used on an induction cooktop. However, you can use certain ceramic-coated cookware on an induction cooktop.
Check with the manufacturer’s website or the product details to see if it is induction-cooktop compatible.
Q: Does ceramic cookware contain lead?
A: Most ceramic cookware made today does not contain lead. However, antique and handmade ceramic cookware can.
If you are unsure, the FDA has a list of products that have tested positive for lead. To find out if your set is safe, check their website here.
Q: What is Thermolon?
A: Thermolon is the most popular ceramic nonstick found in ceramic cookware. It can withstand high heat and cooks food pretty evenly. It is a healthier, safer alternative to PTFE.
Q: What’s the difference between porcelain and ceramic?
A: Porcelain is a type of ceramic. Porcelain enamel is a mix of porcelain and a type of metal. Porcelain enamel cookware possesses many of the same benefits of ceramic cookware.
Q: How much oil or butter should I use when cooking on ceramic cookware?
A: Ceramic is a great, non-toxic way to cook food while only using a little (and even no!) butter or oil while cooking. Use only about a teaspoon of butter or oil to the pot or pan when cooking.
And remember to never EVER use aerosol cooking sprays on ceramic cookware. It will leave a film on the coating that will be very difficult to get off.
Ditch those traditional nonstick pots and pans and grab yourself one of these healthier, safer nonstick ceramic cookware sets. If you are on a budget, then check out the Cuisinart Advantage Ceramica XT set. It is a durable, long lasting, super affordable set for any beginner to advanced home cooks.
If you are looking to showcase your food or want to tap into that retro ceramic feel, definitely consider the Vremi ceramic cookware set. It’s bright color choices and great cooking experience will have you cooking like your mom or grandma with the best ceramic cookware in no time.