If your child frequently gets tangled hair, you both know the struggle is real and quite painful. But it doesn’t have to be. Finding a good detangler will help remove tangles, knots, and snags, as well prevent them in the first place.
We have a list the 10 best detanglers for kids to help you get your child’s hair tangle-free without any pain as well as a few tips and tricks to help prevent them from occurring. But first, let’s go over a few things before you choose a detangler for your kid.
- In a Hurry? Here’s Our Top Picks…
- Top 10 List
- 1. Cantu Care for Kids Conditioning Detangler
- 2. TotLogic Detangler and Leave-in Conditioner Spray
- 3. Honest Company Conditioning Detangler
- 4. Fairy Tales Tangle Tamers Static Free Detangling Spray
- 5. Johnson’s Buddies No More Tangles Hair
- 6. Suave Kids Apple Detangler Spray
- 7. Dark and Lovely Beautiful Beginnings Detangler
- 8. Shea Moisture Kids Extra-Moisturizer Detangler
- 9. Paul Mitchell Taming Spray
- 10. L’Oreal Kids Extra Gentle Conditioner
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Bottom Line
- Top 10 List
Detangler for Different Hair Types
Before you put just any ole detangler in your child’s hair, make sure you shop for one that is suitable for their hair type. Some detanglers are made specifically for curly hair while others are best for fine hair. Here’s what you should look for depending on your child’s hair type:
Curly or Coarse Hair– When it comes to thicker, coarse and curly hair, look for detanglers with extra moisturizer in it. This will soften hair to make it easier to run a comb through it.
Wavy or Straight Hair– Kids with wavy or straight hair won’t need quite as much conditioning as those with curly or coarse hair. As long as their hair is not coarse or fine, wavy or straight hair can use either a detangling spray or conditioner.
Fine Hair– Surprisingly, straight hair, especially fine hair, has a tendency to tangle more than curly hair. However, extra moisture is not the answer. Look for a lightweight detangler spray that conditions but won’t weigh hair down.
Spray VS Conditioner
You may be asking, “Should I get a spray or just a conditioner?” As we just mentioned, curly or coarse hair will need a little more moisturizing to get those tangles out. While a detangling conditioner might seem like a better option, there are plenty of sprays specifically made for that hair type.
However, if your child has fine hair, a lightweight spray is a better choice. Too much moisture can be too much for fine hair. We’ve noted when a spray or conditioner works best for thicker, curly or coarse hair, fine hair or all hair types.
Tips to Help Detangle Hair
Besides using a detangling spray or conditioner, here are a few extra tips to help kids have knot-free hair.
Brush your child’s hair before they get into the bath or shower. Don’t wait until after your child has washed their hair to get the knots out. Do it before.
To brush your child’s hair, gently start from the bottom and work your way up to the top of their head.
Have your child wear their hair in a ponytail when they sleep. The key is to make sure it’s a loose ponytail, and not too tight as to not break your child’s hair. Also, choose a scrunchie over an elastic to prevent breakage.
Sleep on a silk pillowcase. Let them be fancy! Swapping their pillowcase from cotton to silk can help prevent tangles as well as reduce frizz.
Make sure they (or you) are washing their hair right. Instead of scrubbing hair, have them (or you) work the shampoo into their roots gently by using just fingertips.
Use a detangling comb. As the name suggests, it helps detangle. A wide-toothed comb will work too.
Ponytails and ballerina buns help. Before your child goes running around to play, be sure to pull their hair back in a ponytail or a neat bun to prevent tangles.
In a Hurry? Here’s Our Top Picks…
Top 10 List
Time to get those tangles and knots out! We’ve searched for the best of the best when it comes to detangler products for kids. Many of the brands you’ll love and know (and may already use) while there are a few kid-specific brands that will help your kids be tangle-free.
Let’s dive into the list, shall we?
1. Cantu Care for Kids Conditioning Detangler
- 100% pure sheaf butter, coconut oil and...
- Softens strands for easy-comb curls
- Gentle care for textured hair
This detangler not only works really well on curly texture hair but it’s super affordable too. It contains shea butter, coconut oil, and honey to reduce breakage and nourish hair. What does this kid-specific formula not contain? Harsh chemicals.
For kids with super knotty hair, it did a great job getting the tangles out and moisturizing dry hair.
- Great value.
- Works great on curly, textured and super tangled hair.
- Contains shea butter, coconut oil, and honey.
- Contains no harsh chemicals.
- Not a tear-free formula. Ouch.
2. TotLogic Detangler and Leave-in Conditioner Spray
- HYPOALLERGENIC AND NON TOXIC DETANGLING...
- RICH IN ANTIOXIDANTS AND NOURISHING...
- NO HARSH CHEMICALS: Safe for girls hair,...
- NO ARTIFICIAL FRAGRANCES OR DYES:...
- CERTIFIED CRUELTY FREE AND VEGAN: No...
TotLogic Detangler and Leave in Conditioner is a nontoxic spray that works on both wet and dry hair. It’s hypoallergenic and has no harsh chemicals which mean it’s gentle on kids’ hair and scalps.
It contains jojoba and essential oils to detangle and also to get rid of frizz and static. This all-natural spray is vegan and works on all different types of hair.
- All natural. No harsh chemicals.
- Prevents static and frizz too.
- Works on all types of hair.
- Some don’t like the smell.
3. Honest Company Conditioning Detangler
- Luxurious argan oil, shea butter, jo
- A blend of argan oil, shea butter,...
- Silken and separate strands and...
- Made with plant-derived ingredients
- Use anytime to help calm cowlicks or...
This lightweight leave-in conditioner/detangler is best on normal and fine hair. It contains argan oil, shea butter, jojoba, and quinoa extract, leaving kids hair super soft and tangle-free.
The natural plant-derived formula contains no harsh chemicals and is gentle on kids hair. Kids also really liked the sweet orange vanilla scent.
- The lightweight formula works great on normal to fine hair.
- The orange vanilla scent smells good.
- No harsh chemicals. Ingredients are plant-derived.
- Great for everyday use.
- Won’t work as well on really tangled hair or coarse and curly hair.
4. Fairy Tales Tangle Tamers Static Free Detangling Spray
- Detangling and smoothing solutions for...
- Keratin and Vitamin B extracts...
- Calms, eliminates frizz and moisturizes...
- Helps comb thru with ease to eliminate...
- No parabens, phthalates, sulfates, soy,...
This one’s for princesses (and princes) with long tangled tresses that need some love without any nasty chemicals.
This detangling spray has no parabens, phthalates, and sulfates and is even dairy-, soy-, nut- and gluten-free. It contains keratin, jojoba, aloe vera, and vitamins to strengthen and repair hair.
It also does a great job taming frizz and preventing static. This spray works on all hair types and works so well, you might even want to use it on yourself.
- No harsh chemicals.
- Strengthens and conditions hair.
- Prevents static and frizz.
- Gluten-, soy-, nut- and dairy-free.
- Some may not like the smell.
5. Johnson’s Buddies No More Tangles Hair
- 10-fluid ounce bottle of detangling...
- Helps eliminate snarls, tangles, and...
- baby's haircare manageable and untangled...
- Works immediately to make combing easier
- Johnson's No More Tears formula
Whether your kid’s hair is wet or dry, this detangler will help loosen those pesky knots so you can slide a brush or comb through their hair with ease.
This no-rinse spray features Johnson’s classic no-tear formula just in case it does get in your little one’s eyes. It also has no parabens, phthalates, sulfates or dyes.
This particular spray works best on normal to fine hair.
- Works on both wet or dry hair.
- No-tears formula has no harmful chemicals like parabens or sulfates.
- Doesn’t work as well on coarse hair.
6. Suave Kids Apple Detangler Spray
This super affordable detangling spray comes in scents your kids will love— Silly Apple and Berry Awesome. This is another detangler spray that can be used on both wet and dry hair.
The spray also is hypoallergenic and suitable for kids with sensitive scalps. It’s effective on normal and fine hair as well as thicker, coarse and curly hair.
- Kids will love the berry or apple scent.
- Very affordable.
- Tear-free & hypoallergenic.
- Can be used on wet or dry hair.
- Can leave some buildup on hair.
7. Dark and Lovely Beautiful Beginnings Detangler
- Makes combing hair stress-free
- Infused with coconut oil and shea butter
- For natural and relaxed hair
The Beautiful Beginnings detangler contains both coconut oil and shea butter, leaving hair strong, shiny and tangle-free. The formula also does a great job preventing split ends from happening.
This detangler works on both natural and relaxed hair. It is made specifically for kids and is super gentle on their hair. This detangler can also be used on dry or wet hair.
- Protects against split ends.
- Strengthens hair with coconut oil and shea butter.
- Works on both natural and relaxed hair.
- Can be used on wet or dry hair.
- Great value.
- Some didn’t find it moisturized quite enough.
8. Shea Moisture Kids Extra-Moisturizer Detangler
- Quality You Can Trust from Shea Moisture
- Value Pack of 2
- Great Value!
If you love the Shea Moisture brand, then why not try it on your kids? (The Shea Moisture Kids version that is.) With natural ingredients like coconut, hibiscus, slippery elm and marshmallow extract, kids will have moisturized, tangle-free hair without the use of any harsh chemicals.
This particular detangler works great on thick, curly or extra tangle-y hair, but go easy on it. It can feel a little sticky on hair if too much is applied.
- Natural ingredients provide great moisture.
- Works great on coarse, curly or extra tangled hair.
- Also a great anti-frizz.
- Smells good.
- Feels a little sticky on hair.
9. Paul Mitchell Taming Spray
- This lightweight, leave-in conditioner...
- This product is made of high quality...
- This product is firm hold and natural...
Paul Mitchel has a line just for kids, including this Taming spray. This spray detangles knotty morning lion’s mane or those fairy knots in tough-to-untangle curls.
It works well on all hair types but works especially well on thick, curly hair. Besides detangling, it also tames frizz and reduces static. The downside is the higher Paul Mitchell price tag.
- Great on thick, curly hair.
- Gets out tough knots.
- Works on damp or dry hair.
- Tames static and frizz.
10. L’Oreal Kids Extra Gentle Conditioner
Kids love the juicy grape smell. You’ll love their knot-free hair. This conditioner prevents knots before they even start.
The L’Oreal Kids Extra Gentle Conditioner is paraben-free and tear-free. A little goes a long way to help detangle hair too. This conditioner is best for kids with normal to fine hair and probably won’t provide quite enough moisture for thicker or coarse hair.
- Kids like the smell.
- Tear-free formula.
- Works great on fine hair. Won’t weigh it down.
- Helps prevent static.
- Might not moisturize enough for super dry or extra tangle-y hair.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What causes knots and tangles in hair?
A: Some hair is more prone to knots than others. But what cause knots in the first place?
Knots form when the cuticle of hair gets damaged and opens up. When this happens, hair catches with other hair (think Velcro) and causes those dreaded knotty messes.
So how do you stop the knots? There are many ways, but a good detangler will moisturize hair as to prevent hair from becoming damaged and the cuticles from opening up.
Of course, like with most things, prevention is key. Using a detangler regularly and some of the tips we provided above, will prevent any tears from a dreaded brushing/detangling session.
Q: Help! My child’s hair is really tangled! What do I do?
A: As we mentioned before, resist the urge to wash your child’s hair when it’s full of knots. It’ll only make things worse.
If your child’s hair is full of knots and tangles, you are going to have to do some brushing before your child goes in the shower for a good conditioning.
Check out this video for tips on getting through a detangling.
From curly hair to fine hair, there’s a detangler for every hair type on this list of best detanglers for kids. For textured curly hair, check out Cantu Detangler for Kids. It gets knots out of super knotty hair and moisturizes even the most damaged hair.
For a lightweight spray for kids with normal to fine hair, check out the Honest Company Conditioning Detangling Spray. You and your kid will like the vanilla orange scent, but more importantly, the tangle-free hair.