On the hunt for a great hair gel for your kid? You’re in luck. We’ve got an awesome list of hair gels that will no doubt have your kid’s hair looking stylish.
You might be tempted to let them use your hair gel or pick up one at the store, but hold up. When it comes to hair gel for kids, there are a few ingredients you want to stay away from. But you also don’t want to sacrifice the goal of a great hair gel ‑ shine and hold.
We’ve chosen 9 great hair gels that will be gentle on kids’ hair and still give them the control and shine they need to style their hair. And as far as price goes, all of them are budget-friendly.
Choosing the Right Hair Gel
Kids of all ages can use hair gel, and yes, that means babies too! But there are a few things to ask yourself before grabbing one off the shelf.
What type of hairstyle are you planning on doing? Slick ponytails or spikes? Smoothing hair back or taming some curls? Most gel suitable for children will provide either light or medium hold with some providing a touch more hold for those strong hairstyles like spikes. Be sure to check what type of hold the hair gel provides.
If your child suffers from a skin condition, you’ll want to make sure that the hair gel is suitable for those with sensitive skin. Alternately, babies will also need something for extra sensitive skin, too. We’ve made sure to include hair gels that are great for extra sensitive skin.
There are some ingredients that you should steer clear of when choosing a hair gel. Choosing a gel that is free from chemicals or toxins, like sulfates, parabens, phthalates, and others are best for children. Also, if your child suffers from any allergies such as gluten or dairy, be sure to choose one that is allergen-friendly.
Tips on Styling Kids’ Hair
You’ve got the gel and you are ready to start spiking, slicking and curling. Here are a few tips to help you style your child’s hair!
- Apply hair gel to damp hair. Most hair gels work best when hair is damp, not wet. However, there are some gels on this list that can be applied on dry hair too. In general, to get the best hold, apply it to damp hair.
- Make sure your child’s hair is tangle-free. Before you apply any hair product to your child’s hair, make sure any tangles are brushed out with a comb. If necessary, use a detangler to get out any tangles.
- Start with a little. Don’t put too much gel in your child’s hair. Too much gel can make hair crunchy, flakey or feel heavy.
- Keep it simple. Most kids don’t want to sit around forever getting their hair styled. Choose simple styles to start before progressing into something a little more complex. For boys, that may mean working on a messier spikey hairstyle. For girls, a sleek simple ponytail is always a classic.
9 Best Hair Gels for Kids
We know that hair is a big deal, and to kids, having stylish hair is important. But keeping kids hair and scalps healthy is important, too. We’ve included hair gel that contains no chemicals or harmful ingredients and many are even safe enough for babies.
Keep reading to see which hair gel is right for your little one!
1. Fairytales Rosemary Repel Lice Prevention Styling Gel
- Rosemary Repel Kids Hair Gel is just our...
- Harnessing the power of natural...
- We are a preferred head lice prevention...
- Jojoba and Chamomile are also hydrating,...
- Last by not least, we are a paraben free...
This styling gel isn’t just a great styling gel. It also helps prevent kids from getting lice. Talk about a win-win.
As the name suggests, this styling gel contains rosemary oil as well as citronella oil and peppermint oil, all of which lice hate. It also contains other natural ingredients such as lavender, aloe, sage, and chamomile. The smell isn’t overwhelming either; in fact, kids liked it.
So not only will lice hate this gel, your child’s hair will look great too. Hair was controlled and smooth without being greasy or crunchy. It’s safe for everyday use and contains no nasty chemicals or artificial fragrance.
- Effective hair gel + lice prevention.
- No crunchy or stiff hair.
- Safe for everyday use.
- Phthalate-, soy-, dairy-, paraben- and gluten-free.
- Some kids didn’t like the smell.
2. Little Roseberry Hair Gel
- Natural Hair Gel for Kids Made with Aloe...
Little Roseberry Hair Gel is safe for all ages. And when we mean all ages, we are talking babies, toddlers, kids and adults too! The key ingredient in this hair gel is organic aloe juice, which leaves kids’ hair soft and moisturized.
This gel will give kids a light hold, so those who are looking for some serious spikes may want to try another gel. This gel, however, will provide control without any harsh chemicals, dyes or fragrances.
Make sure not to use too much though. A little goes a long way and will control flyaways and frizz all day long.
- Safe for kids of all ages.
- Aloe juice keeps hair soft and smooth.
- Perfect for light hold.
- No artificial fragrance.
- Perfect for kids with sensitive skin.
- If you use too much hair will become stiff.
3. SoCozy Sensitive Styling Foam
- LIGHTWEIGHT MOUSSE: Natural Hold that...
- KEY INGREDIENTS: Keratin, Rosemary...
- SALON FORMULA: SoCozy has over 20 years...
- NO NASTY INGREDIENTS: Free from...
So we know this isn’t a gel, but we couldn’t leave off the list. This is perfect for a do on your little one. The formula is gentle enough to be used on babies’ sensitive scalps.
Not only is it free from bad chemicals like parabens, sulfates, and others, but it’s also allergy tested, making it perfect for kids with extra sensitive skin. This lightweight foam also leaves hair and skin soft but gives hair a light hold. No crunchy, flaky, greasy hair here.
- Suitable for babies and toddlers, especially with sensitive skin.
- No chemicals plus allergy tested.
- Leaves hair and skin soft and healthy.
- Lightweight foam is easy to apply.
- Only provides very light hold.
4. Snip-Its Silly Slicker Sculpting Gel
- EXPRESS YOURSELF – Look amazing with...
- ALL DAY HOLD – This amazing baby hair...
- NO FLAKE - Boys hair styling product for...
- SMELLS GREAT – Kids hair gel with...
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED –...
If your kid wants spikes or any hairstyle that requires a strong hold, Silly Slicker Sculpting Gel is the one. To change the style, simply add a little water to the hair to restyle it to a new fun hairdo.
Despite being a strong hold formula, hair won’t flake nor will it leave hair crunchy. The ingredients are plant-based and free of harsh chemicals. Kids and parents liked the light, fresh, tropical scent.
- Strong hold.
- Can restyle hair by adding a little water.
- Smells great.
- Plant-based, chemical-free ingredients.
- On the pricey side.
5. Fresh Monster Natural Hair Gel
- Contains 1 - 6 ounce tube of Fresh...
- Fresh Monster natural, flexible-hold...
- NO BAD STUFF - free of toxins, sulfates,...
- FLEXIBLE HOLD WITHOUT CRUNCHINESS –...
- DERMATOLOGIST TESTED: Hypoallergenic and...
Your little monster has some monster hair to tame, and Fresh Monster Natural Hair Gel is free of toxins, BPA, dyes, parabens, alcohol, and fragrance. All that said, it’s hypoallergenic and great for kids with sensitive skin.
This hair gel works best on damp hair and is perfect for taming flyaways on a ponytail, slicking hair back or even doing some spikes. However, note that this hair gel only provides a light-medium hold.
- Hypoallergenic formula.
- Cruelty-free and vegan.
- No fragrance, toxins or alcohol.
- If you too much is used, it can flake.
6. HipPeas Hair Balm
- ALL AGES: Hip Peas Hair Styling Balm is...
- CLINICALLY TESTED: Hip Peas Hair Styling...
- MADE IN USA: Made locally in Irving,...
- NO ANIMAL TESTING: Hip Peas Hair Styling...
- PARENT APPROVED: Hip Peas Hair Styling...
Again, this isn’t a gel, but still very worthy of our list. This hair balm provides a light hold and is great for babies, toddlers, kids, and even adult hair. This plant-based balm contains organic ingredients without any of the usual nasty suspects – parabens, sulfates and the like.
What makes this balm special is that it works for a variety of hair types. Whether you want to tame flyaways, twist some curls or slick back hair, HipPeas will do just that. With ingredients like lavender, aloe, and blueberry, not only will your child’s hair smell good, but it’ll stay healthy too.
- Great smell.
- Works for all hair types.
- No chemicals or artificial fragrance.
- Organic ingredients.
- Might not provide enough hold for certain hairstyles.
7. Free & Clear Hair Styling Gel for Sensitive Skin
- Holds hair in place without leaving...
- Nourishes and repairs damaged hair
- Ideal for sensitive skin and scalps
When they say “free & clear” they mean it. It is free of chemicals, toxins, gluten, preservatives, parabens, lanolin and more! For all ages, the Free & Clear Hair Styling Gel is the right choice for kids and adults with sensitive skin.
This gel can be used on both wet and dry hair and actually makes hair healthier, making it perfect for daily use.
- Great for sensitive scalps.
- Free of potential allergens.
- Can be applied to wet or dry hair.
- Nourishes hair while providing great hold.
- Most expensive hair gel on the list.
8. Africa’s Best Kids Organics Smooth and Styling Gel
- Kids Organics Smoothing and Styling Gel...
For natural curls, Africa’s Best is, well, the best! Olive oil nourishes curls while providing control and shine. Curls will stay soft, not crunchy or stiff, and hair will stay healthy even with daily use.
This organic gel contains no alcohol, parabens or aluminum. Don’t over-apply though, as it will get crunchy. Again, like many other gels on this list, a little goes a long way.
- Organic olive oil moisturizes hair.
- Lightweight gel tames frizz.
- No alcohol or aluminum.
- Can flake if too much is applied.
9. Original Sprout Natural Hair Gel
- For Thicker, Smoother, Healthy Hair
- Strengthens, Softens & Hydrates
- For Babies, Children & Adults
We’ve come to the final pick of our list and unlike the Free & Clear in our number 7 spot, this one is a little more budget-friendly. Suitable for babies, this natural hair gel is safe and gentle on all scalps.
This hair gel smells great thanks to the apricot and apple extract as well as lavender and tea tree oil. It also contains cucumber to moisturize your little one’s hair. The hold could be a touch better, but for extra small ones, this will help tame their hair and keep it healthy, too.
- Cucumber nourishes hair.
- Contains organic ingredients.
- Smells great.
- Suitable for babies.
- Great for flyaways.
- Provides very light hold.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: I want to style my baby’s hair. Can I use hair product?
A: Yes! But it’s especially important to choose a hypoallergenic hair gel made specifically for babies. We’ve noted several gels and balms on this list that are suitable for babies.
Q: The gel is flaking in my child’s hair. Why?
A: Before you blame the gel, consider how much gel you are applying. For most gels, including the ones on this list, a little goes a long way. Applying too much can cause flaking. Next time use a smaller amount of hair gel.
Q: Should I use hair gel on wet hair or dry hair?
A: Most gels will recommend that you apply it to damp hair. Simply towel dry your child’s hair before applying. However, some gels, as well as balms, can be applied to dry hair to tame flyaways or provide some extra hold and control throughout the day.
It’s hard to choose a favorite off this list, but if we had to pick our favorite of favorites, it would be the Fairytales Rosemary Repel Lice Prevention Styling Gel. This natural hair gel works double-time, preventing your child from getting lice as well as taming their do into whatever style they want.
However, if you are looking for something for baby, try HipPeas Hair Balm. This balm provides light hold and is gentle on baby’s scalp and hair.