If your child is one of the many that have been sucked into the hoverboard craze, then you know just how eager children can be to obtain one.
Hoverboards, despite the name, don’t actually hover in the air like the Marty McFly version (it’s a bummer, we know) – but they do animate in a futuristic way; relying on the shifting of your child’s body weight to maneuver.
They’re super cool, and kids know that all too well – which is probably why you’re here reading this with your child breathing down your neck. There are tons of hoverboard options in-store and on the web, and we know the task of finding a reliable hoverboard can be daunting.
But never fear, MomDot is here – and we’ve reviewed 5 of the best hoverboards for kids.
Let’s get started!
In a Hurry? Here’s Our Top Picks…
- In a Hurry? Here’s Our Top Picks…
1. EPCTEK 6.5″ Hoverboard
Available in five awesome colors and patterns, this hoverboard is Bluetooth compatible and adorned with bright, colorful LED lights. It’s great for kids of all ages and can hold riders over 150 pounds – and some users reported that the hoverboard could withstand riders 200+ pounds!
This is a UL 2272 Certified Hoverboard, meaning it’s been tested rigorously for safety and durability and passed with flying colors. The EPCTEK Hoverboard can travel at a speed of up to 8 MPH – which is plenty fast no matter what age or skill level your child is.
Though it’s on the expensive side, the quality of this hoverboard is hard to beat and guaranteed to last at least a few years of use. Cheaper hoverboards aren’t always built to last, so if your child is serious about hoverboarding, purchasing a well-built, sturdy option is our recommendation.
- Available in red, white, black, gold, and graffiti pattern
- Bluetooth compatible so your kid can listen to their favorite tunes as they ride
- Travels up to 8 MPH – which is definitely enough speed
- Covered in LED lights for more fun and safety while in areas that are dimly lit
- Certified for safety and quality
- Can hold riders up to 200+ pounds
- A little on the pricey side, but the durability makes up for the cost
2. SISIGAD Hoverboard
- ▶▶SHIPPED FROM US. - All SISIGAD...
- ▶▶UNIQUE LED & BLUETOOTH - Built-in...
- ▶▶SELF BALANCING CONTROL SYSTEM -...
- ▶▶SMOOTH RIDES - 6.5" wheels with...
- ▶▶PERFECT GIFT - Specially designed...
Available for purchase in nine different colors, the SISIGAD Hoverboard is a durable, safe, and certified choice. You can choose between four Bluetooth compatible options or five of the classic no-Bluetooth options if your kids play awful music that you’re not really wanting to hear as they roll through the kitchen.
This hoverboard is constructed with a longlasting 36V Lithium battery and colorful LED lights; and, as we mentioned above, these hoverboards meet the UL2272 standards for electrical safety to ensure a secure ride.
The SISIGAD Hoverboard can hold riders up to 260 pounds and travel at a top speed of 9 MPH over wet, rugged, sandy, and (albeit, slightly) uphill terrain. And on the base of the hoverboard are two, large non-slip foot pads for better control and a more comfortable ride.
- Absorbs shock when riding over bumpy terrain
- Travels up to 9 MPH, slightly faster than the previous hoverboard
- Can handle sandy, rugged, wet, and uphill conditions
- Comes with a free carrying and storage bag
- Holds riders up to 260 pounds
- Easy to learn how to ride
- Longlasting battery with a quick charge
- Meets the UL2272 safety standards
- Lights up with colorful LED’s
- Available in Bluetooth or classic options and nine different colors
- A little on the pricey side, but well worth it considering the quality and ability of this hoverboard
3. Razor Hovertrax 2.0
If you’re wanting reliable sports equipment, there are none more reliable than the company Razor. This Razor hoverboard is one of the highest quality on the market, able to withstand riders up to 220 pounds for a full hour of constant use on a single charge.
It’s made with self-balancing technology that keeps the board balanced no matter the position of your child and can travel at speeds over 8 miles per hour. Along with the LED lights put in place just for the effect, Razor has recently upgraded this hoverboard to include an LED light battery display so that your child will always be aware of the life of their battery.
The frame of this hoverboard is constructed with shatter-resistant polymer with convenient fender bumpers, along with anti-slip foot pads located on the base for a smooth, safe ride. Though the motor is powerful, this hoverboard is nearly silent (saving you and your neighbors some annoyance).
And not only is this Razor hoverboard safe, but Razor was also the first U.S. brand for hoverboards to ever receive the UL 2272 listing for safety – going above and beyond by even including new riding modes for training beginners.
This hoverboard can conquer a variety of terrains, though it may take your child some practice to get the hang of things. This hoverboard is recommended for children ages 8 and up.
- Manufactured by Razor, one of the most renowned sports equipment and activities companies
- First U.S. hoverboard brand to be UL 2272 certified for safety
- Great for kids ages 8 and up
- Wonderful LED lights and battery display
- Powerful and quiet motor
- Includes fender bumpers and anti-slip foot pads
- Long battery life
- Can hold riders up to 220 pounds
- Can move over various terrain types
- Like the others on this list, it’s a bit pricey. But the quality and abilities are tremendous
4. CHO Spider Wheels Series Hoverboard
- The UL certified hoverboard meets UL2272...
- High intensity LED headlights provide...
- The Self balancing technology of the...
- Built-in wireless speaker can be easily...
- Buy with Confidence, Cho Power Sports...
If your son is a fan of Spidey leaping from building to building on the big screen, then he’s sure to love this web-covered Spiderman hoverboard! This web printed hoverboard is available in four different variations reminiscent of this classic superhero’s suit: black, blue, white, and the traditional red we all know and love.
Along with the cool Spidey body paint, this hoverboard includes a built-in speaker that effortlessly connects to any wireless device so that your kid can listen to the Spiderman theme song as they roll down the sidewalk. And to top it all off, the heroic design of this hoverboard also includes non-slip foot pads in the shape of spiders.
Like all of the options on our list, this hoverboard meets the UL2272 standards for electrical quality and safety so your child can play more and you can worry less. The speed ranges from 5 up to 8 MPH, depending on the weight of the rider. This hoverboard can withstand riders up to 180 pounds. The weight limit with this option is not as much as some of our other picks, but it’s still plenty sturdy to support most kids and teenagers.
The battery life is quite longlasting and getting a full charge only takes 2 hours. Battery life is saved on this hoverboard, thanks to the smart auto-off technology. After only 5 minutes of inactivity, this hoverboard will turn off.
- Spiderman design available in four different colors for your Spidey-obsessed child
- Meets the appropriate safety and quality standards
- Quick charge and lasting battery life
- Non-slip foot pads in the shape of spiders
- Auto-balancing system, making it a great option for beginners
- Can be used by children as little as 44 pounds (and up to 180)
- Maybe too pricey for some
- Max weight is 180 pounds, which is nearly 100 pounds less than the ability of other hoverboards on this list that can hold riders between 200-250 pounds
5. CXMScooter Hoverboard
- MORE SAFER.UL 2272 Certified balance...
- BLUETOOTH SPEAKER.Bluetooth makes...
- SELF BALANCING TECHNOLOGY.The electric...
- EASY TO USE.Designed for beginners...
- GO IN ANY DIRECTION. The hover board can...
Unlike the smooth, rounded appearance of most hoverboards on the market (and even those on our list) the CXMScooter Hoverboard has a unique blocky exterior build. Along with the unique build, this hoverboard is available in six matte colors (contrary to the shiny finishes of other hoverboards). Your child can choose between matte pink, sky blue, white, violet, mint green, or matte black.
This is a great option for kids ages 6 and up who are just starting to develop an interest in hoverboarding. The self-balancing system ensures that your child will be stable no matter which direction they’re leaning or how fast they’re going. The wide, non-slip foot pads are ribbed to keep your child’s feet from slipping regardless of elemental conditions.
Like all of the previous options on our list, this awesome hoverboard is UL2271 certified for electrical safety. The battery, frontal LED lights, and built-in Bluetooth-compatible speaker were all tested for their durability and safety.
- Unique blocky shape compared to the sleek, rounded appearance of other options
- Available in six matte colors: pink, light blue, purple, green, white, and black
- More affordable than other options on our list
- UL2271 tested and certified for battery and electrical safety
- Can connect to Bluetooth so your child can listen to music as they ride
- Easy to use and self-balancing, making it a good choice for beginners
- Can be used by riders as little as 66 pounds (and up to 220 pounds)
- Initial charging time and recharge time can take 4 or 5 hours to reach a full battery charge, which is quite long compared to other options on our list
Considerations Before You Buy
Safety Gear and Precautions
As with any play or sports item, safety gear is a must for children. How much safety gear your child wears is completely up to you, but we recommend having your child wear a helmet at the very least. Let’s take a look at some of the best gear for hoverboard riding:
When it comes to hoverboarding, really any type of helmet will do. But our favorite helmet is the Razor V-17 Youth Multi-Sport Helmet.
- Cutting-edge youth safety helmet for...
- Ergonomic interior padding is...
- 17 top and side vents help rider keep a...
- Side release buckles adjust and fasten...
- Fits head sizes 21.5 to 23 inches; for...
This helmet is available in 13 different colors to fit the personality of your kid(s) and each was designed with multi-sport use in mind. From biking and skating to snowboarding and – yes – hoverboarding, this helmet is great for it all. Plus it’s created by Razor, one of the top sports equipment companies, it’s a #1 Best Seller, and this helmet complies with the highest safety standards. What more could you ask for?
Elbow, Wrist, and Knee Pads
Like helmets, practically any elbow, wrist, and knee pads designed for rollerblading, skateboarding or biking will do the job. Our favorite are these Youth Knee, Wrist, and Elbow Guards.
- ♥ Multifunctional Protective Gear: FOR...
- ♥Professional And...
- ♥ Boys/ Girls/ Kids Gift For : It is...
- ♥ Protective Gear Set: 2pcs knee pad,...
- ♥ The Pads Would Make A Bit...
This protective set is designed with kids specifically in mind. They’re available in four different colors to suit both boys and girls and these pads come in two sizes: Small and Medium. The Small size is best for children ages 3 to 7 years old and the Medium generally works best for kids between the ages of 6 and 15.
With this set, your child will get the utmost protection for their arms and legs in case they fall while hoverboarding.
Though hoverboarding is generally safe, especially with protective gear, there are still a few precautions your child can (and should) take while riding.
- When your child is riding through the house, it’s best that they keep away from jagged or hard furniture edges. Countertops or Island corners can pose a hazard if your child falls into them.
- Staying away from mirrors, vases, or glass doors may also be a good idea, in the event that the hoverboard gets away from them.
- It’s worth mentioning that hoverboards should not be in use in a kitchen while food is being cooked. Hot ovens and stovetops pose a very serious threat to your child if they’re inexperienced with hoverboarding and are riding around them.
- It’s best not to let your child hoverboard around pools. If the hoverboard gets away from them and goes into the water, it will no longer work.
- It’s recommended that your child wear close-toed shoes to prevent scrapes on the feet and protect their toes.
Here are a few other safety tips and precautions that you can discuss with your child.
The Benefits of Hoverboards
Though at first glance it may not seem like there would be many benefits from hoverboarding, there are actually quite a few. Let’s take a look:
Gets Kids Outside
Compared to generations before them, kids today aren’t getting outside nearly as much as they should. It’s no secret that sunshine makes us happy and constant use of technology and social media depresses children – and that’s why it’s so important to get them out from under the roof and their faces staring at the world (and not at a tiny screen). Sunshine also increases Vitamin D (and Vitamins are, of course, necessary for growing children) which increases their overall health, in turn.
In general, hoverboarding leads to greater things simply because it encourages kids to go into the great outdoors – how cool is that?
Balance, Flexibility, and Coordination
Because kids have to lean forward, backward, and side-to-side to get the hoverboard to go where they want it to, their flexibility, balance, and coordination are all tried and developed.
Though your child will be making small movements as they ride their hoverboard, these seemingly unimportant movements actually increase their heart rate and burn calories. This is a great form of light to medium exercise that your child will have a fun time participating in.
It’s Just Plain Fun
It’s extremely important for kids to just have fun. Too much stress and work from school or elsewhere can be detrimental to the health of young kids while free play is essential to healthy child development. Hoverboarding is simply plain fun for kids – and healthy fun is good.
- Razor: Razor is one of the top manufacturers of sports equipment, trusted by the public for decades. They’re known as the original scooter company but have since expanded to hoverboards, skateboards, and so forth to meet the demands of consumers. They now produce some of the most top-rated hoverboards.
Q: Do hoverboards work on grass, gravel, and inclines?
A: For the most part, yes! Hoverboards are pretty resilient and can travel across a variety of terrains in a variety of weather conditions. They have powerful motors that are built to be determined to travel anywhere and everywhere – like your child.
Q: How old do kids have to be to ride a hoverboard?
A: Kids as little as 44-66 pounds are usually fine to ride a hoverboard – this is mostly kids around 6 years of age. We don’t recommend letting a child under 6 years old attempt to ride a hoverboard – at least not without protective gear.
Q: How fast do hoverboards travel?
A: Most hoverboards travel 5 to 9 miles per hour, which is plenty fast for hoverboard riders of all ages!
Q: What is the weight limit for hoverboards?
A: The weight limit for hoverboards varies. Usually, the minimum weight is anywhere from 44 to 66 pounds with a maximum of 150 to 250 pounds.
Q: Can you overcharge a hoverboard?
A: It’s possible. Be sure to read the instruction manual. It’s always best for a child to run the battery down and only charge it for the recommended amount of time (usually 2 to 5 hours, depending on which you purchase).
Q: How long can my child ride the hoverboard before it’ll start to die?
A: On average, a full battery charge can give your child up to 2 hours of constant riding before it needs to be recharged.
Q: Are hoverboards loud?
A: Nope! Though they have powerful motors for what they are, hoverboards aren’t loud. They have a slight, low sound to them, but nothing compared to larger, more complex machinery like dirtbikes or anything of the like.
Though likely a short-lived craze, hoverboards are quite fun. And kids are sure to get a kick out of them! Not only are they entertaining, but they also are great for getting kids outside, help kids develop their balancing and various coordination skills, and are a wonderful hobby. We hope you enjoyed our article covering the best hoverboards for kids!