A brown sack lunch with yet another boring sandwich isn’t very exciting. Whether your kids are bored with lunch (who can blame them!) or you need a fun way to get them to eat a little more fruits and veggies, bento boxes are the way to go.
Bento boxes are pretty much the most fun way to eat lunch! They make lunch visually appealing so your kids will want to chow down on any fruits or vegetables you send their way. Plus, they’re available in different sizes and come with as many compartments as you need. And did we mention just how cute they are?
So let’s get to it, shall we? We got a list of the best bento boxes for kids that are sure to make your child’s lunchtime fun and tasty!
- What to Look for When Choosing a Bento Box for Kids
- Our 8 Favorite Bento Boxes for Kids
- Frequently Asked Questions
- The Takeaway
What to Look for When Choosing a Bento Box for Kids
We’ve got some great bento boxes on our list, but before you pick one, here are some things to consider when choosing the right bento box for your child:
- Nontoxic materials. Bento boxes come in both metal and plastic. Stainless-steel bento boxes are free from any toxic materials but tend to be a little more money. On the other hand, plastic bento boxes are easy to clean, affordable and many are even microwave and dishwasher safe. But when choosing a plastic bento box, you may want to check that it’s free of BPA and phthalates.
- Containers. Bento boxes can come with fixed compartments or containers that can be mixed and matched depending on your needs. Take into consideration how much food you’re planning on sending them to school with, as well as if you want to have multiple lids on each compartment of food or simply lift the top to access all the compartments at once.
- Insulation. Most bento boxes don’t come with anything to insulate the food. However, most can be slipped into a kid’s lunch box along with an ice pack. However, we did include a bento box on this list that has a thermos compartment to carry hot foods in, such as soup.
- Price. Most bento boxes are affordable for nearly every budget. We included a few higher-priced bento boxes that will last a long time as well as some extra-budget friendly options.
Our 8 Favorite Bento Boxes for Kids
We’ve got a bento box for every kid and every budget. Keep in mind that some of the bento boxes are better suited for younger kids because of the amount of food they hold while other bento boxes are big enough to hold plenty of food for older kids, teens, and even adults.
Keep reading to find out which bento boxes made the cut!
1. Bentgo Kids Bright
- PORTIONED FOR KIDS: 5 practical...
- LEAK-PROOF TECHNOLOGY: Keeps meals and...
- MICROWAVE AND DISHWASHER-SAFE: Removable...
- PURCHASE WITH A PURPOSE: Bentgo...
- WHAT YOU GET: Bentgo Kids compartment...
We love this little brightly colored bento box made just for kids ages 3 to 7. It comes in three fun colors (blue, purple and green) and holds the perfect amount of food for your little one’s lunch.
Not only is this bento box leak-proof, but it also has a rubber “bumper” just in case kids drop it on the floor. And if, for some reason, you’re not satisfied with the box, there’s a two-year warranty.
The container is BPA-free, but note that the inside tray is dishwasher safe. and that the outer shell needs to be hand washed.
- BPA-free as well as free of vinyl, lead, and PVC.
- Perfect size for kids 3-7.
- Leak-proof lid.
- The rubber trim on outer shell prevents breaking if dropped.
- Only part of the container is dishwasher safe.
2. OmieBox Bento Box for Kids
- KIDS EAT BETTER -- Your kids will gobble...
- EASIER, FASTER LUNCH PREP -- Now you can...
- HIGH QUALITY INVESTMENT - Durable, built...
- MULTI-FUNCTIONAL AND VERSATILE - Use...
- EASY TO CLEAN - OmieBox comes apart for...
If your kid likes a hot meal, check out the OmieBox Bento Box. This three-compartment bento box is pretty unique as it comes with a removable thermos so kids can carry a cup of soup or pasta along with a few other goodies. Don’t feel like soup today? No worries. The thermos can be completely removed and the space can be used for something else, such as a sandwich.
The box itself is durable and can withstand some wear and tear. It also has a handle to make carrying it easy for little ones. But is the lid on thermos easy to open? Absolutely! It’s made with little hands in mind.
We recommend this bento box for kids 8 years and under.
- The thermos keeps food hot or cold.
- Side compartment fits most juice and milk boxes.
- Has a handle for easy carrying.
- Thermos is removable.
- Easy to hand wash.
- Rubber seal can be replaced.
- Higher price tag.
3. Yumbox Original Leak-proof Bento Lunch Box for Kids
- PRACTICAL LEAKPROOF DESIGN: Yumbox...
- IDEAL PORTION SIZES FOR KIDS: Yumbox...
- PERFECT HEALTHY PACKED LUNCH: YUMBOX is...
- EASY CLEANING: Yumbox is made up of only...
- HIGH QUALITY, DURABLE & LIGHT: Yumbox is...
The Yumbox is a great choice for creating a picky plate-type lunch. With 6 compartments, kids can have a little bit of everything!
Each compartment is labeled with a food group including a little spot for a treat in order to help teach kids healthy eating habits. The removable tray can be put in the top rack of the dishwasher but the outer shell needs to be hand washed.
The easy to open/close latch works great for extra-little hands and once shut, it’s completely leak-proof.
- 6 compartments labeled with food groups to teach healthy eating.
- The removable tray is dishwasher safe.
- The latch is easy to open and close.
- BPA-free and phthalate-free.
- May leak.
4. Bentology Lunch Boxes
- Lunch with Personality! Send your child...
- Everything girls need for lunch and...
- Lunch boxes are fully insulated,...
- Perfect for Back to School, and makes a...
- All Bentology products are 100%...
The Bentology lunch box is the best of both worlds – a lunch box plus a bento box container that can be customized to the dividers you need when packing your little one’s lunch.
The bento box is a translucent, BPA-free box that comes with 5 BPA-free containers with matching leak-proof lids. The bento box fits perfectly into the matching insulated lunch box that has a side pocket for a water bottle and front pocket for additional food. Even the included ice pack matches the lunch bag and bento box!
The Bentology lunch box is available in so many kid-friendly designs such as kitty, sharks, emojis, octopus, owls, skulls and more. And considering everything it includes, we think this one is a great value.
- BPA, PVC, and phthalate-free materials.
- Plenty of cute designs to choose from.
- The lunch bag is insulated and comes with an ice pack.
- Young kids may have a hard time opening and closing lids on containers.
5. Kotobuki Panda 2-Tiered Bento Box
- Two-tiered bento box with panda...
- Perfectly sized for bringing lunch to...
- Includes two stacked compartments...
- Made of food-safe plastic
- Top and bottom compartments dishwasher...
This two-tiered bento box is not only adorable but also great for kids lunches. If you just need something simple, then this two-compartment bento box is the way to go.
The inner top and bottom trays are dishwasher and microwave safe, but the outer shell cannot be put in the microwave and also should be hand washed. While it has only two stackable trays, it fits a ton of food! And, as all plastic should be, the materials are BPA-free.
- Simple two-tiered construction holds plenty of food for kids.
- Adorable panda design.
- Inner trays are microwave and dishwasher safe.
- The elastic band is not attached. Kids may lose it.
6. Lucentee Bento Lunch Box
- Save time and money – Lucentee' meal...
- Multifunctinoal Boxes – these portion...
- Safe and easy to use – these plastic...
- Freezer and microwave safe – these...
- Customer Service - Please, if you have...
These no-frills containers make bento box lunches easy. Instead of just one box, this is a set that includes 7 bento box containers. The 3-compartment bento box is dishwasher, freezer, and microwave safe as well as BPA-free.
Just because these bento boxes are simple doesn’t mean they’re boring. We love the brightly colored lids and the spacious layout. And because it comes with 7 boxes, you can meal prep lunch for the whole week.
- Affordable price.
- Suitable for kids and adults.
- Brightly colored lids keep things fun.
- Dishwasher, freezer, and microwave safe.
- Comes with 7 containers.
- May wear prematurely.
7. GreenLunch Stainless Steel 3-in-1 Bento Lunch Box
- ✅ NEW (2021) CRACK-RESISTANT DESIGN:...
- ✅ 50% BIGGER THAN MOST BENTO BOXES:...
- ✅ 3 COMPARTMENTS WITH SNACK POD: Our...
- ✅ THE SAFEST CHOICE FOR YOUR FAMILY:...
- ✅ BONUS LIFETIME WARRANTY: Rest...
The GreenLunch stainless steel bento box isn’t just durable, but it holds a ton of food. With the ability to hold a little over 6 cups of food, the 3 compartment 2-tier design keeps things simple and is perfect for hungry kids and teens that want to take their lunch to school in style.
Since it’s made totally of stainless steel, there’s no need to worry about PVC, BPA, or phthalates. And while the price is a little higher than most of the bento boxes on this list, the quality, durability and lifetime warranty justifies the higher price tag.
- Holds 6+ cups of food.
- 100% stainless steel means no toxic materials like BPA.
- Great for older kids and teens.
- Won’t rust.
- On the pricey side.
- Not leak-proof.
8. Rubbermaid LunchBlox Kids Lunch Box Kit
- Containers snap neatly into the Blue Ice...
- Leak-proof lids are easy to open – no...
- Blue Ice tray keeps lunches chilled and...
- Fun, kid-friendly colors for boys and...
- All kit components are BPA-free,...
The Rubbermaid LunchBlox Kids Lunch Box Kit is a super affordable bento-style box set that fits into most lunch bags. We also love that it includes an ice pack that the containers can snap on to.
This set includes a small, medium and large size container that come in fun colors. The containers are dishwasher, freezer, and microwave safe as well as BPA-free. The lids are leak-proof and most kids were able to get them on and off with no problems.
- Containers snap together to neatly stack in a lunch box.
- Includes an ice pack.
- Leak-proof lids.
- Fun colors.
- Very affordable.
- Microwave, dishwasher, and freezer-safe.
- Containers may stop connecting after plenty of use.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What should I pack in my kid’s bento box?
A: What makes bento boxes so great is it allows you to pack a little bit of everything! But more importantly, it also helps kids learn healthy eating habits. For a bento box with three to five compartments, make sure to pack a protein, grain, fruit and/or vegetable. And of course, a small treat is a nice touch.
Q: Are bento boxes dishwasher safe?
A: The short answer is that it depends. Many of the bento boxes on our list are either top-rack dishwasher safe or parts of the bento box are top-rack dishwasher safe. Be sure to check the manufacturer’s care instructions before washing.
Q: How can I make bento box lunches more fun?
A: Whether you need a way to get kids to eat a little more of their lunch (especially those fruits and veggies) or you want to make their lunch a little special, there are plenty of ways to jazz up their bento box. It’s all about the finishing touches.
Here are some tips to make lunch fun!
- Use cookie cutters to make sandwiches, cheese, and other flat foods into fun designs.
- Make a silly face on a sandwich by using pieces of fruits and veggies.
- Brightly colored silicone cups not only help separate food but also make things more visually appealing.
- Use a rainbow of colors by using fruits and vegetables.
- Add a sweet note or a funny joke with their lunch.
Honestly, you can’t go wrong with any of these bento boxes on our list. However, we do have our favorite and our top pick goes to Bentgo Kids Bento Box.
For a true bento box experience just for kids, this one is a great choice. There’s plenty of compartments for different foods and snacks, a leak-proof lid that’s easy to open and close and to top it off, Bentgo is a supporter for the Feed the Children charity to help hungry families. It’s hard to go wrong with a quality bento box from a company with a heart.
We hope we were able to help you learn more about the best bento boxes for kids!