When I think of Halloween treats and candies, the first two things that come to mind are candy corn and popcorn balls. What I hadn’t realized is what a tasty treat these would be together! Unlike typical popcorn balls that are overly crunchy, these won’t require a visit the dentist because they stay soft and gooey thanks to a trick I learned from my mom! By adding a little gelatin, the popcorn balls stay soft and you get the added bonus of your favorite flavor and a dash of Halloween spirit with the soft orange color.
As always, I like to prep all of my ingredients. To get this one started I pre-mixed the cereal, popcorn and candy corn in a big bowl so it would be ready to go.
After melting the butter and marshmallows, I added the orange gelatin which turned into a very Halloweenish orange color!
Once the popcorn mix is cooled it really helps to coat your hands in shortening to form the balls or you’ll end up looking like the marshmallow man with sticky bits all over your hands.
These Candy Corn Kix Mix Popcorn Balls really couldn’t be any simpler. Just cook, plate and serve!
- 2 cups Kix cereal
- 4 cups cooked popcorn
- 1 1/2 cups candy corn candies
- 4 TBS butter
- 10.5 oz mini marshmallows
- 4 TBS orange flavored gelatin powder
- In a large bowl, combine Kix cereal, popcorn and candy corn.
- In a large pot over medium-low heat, melt butter.
- Add marshmallows and stir until thoroughly coated in melted butter.
- Continue to stir until marshmallows are completely melted, add gelatin and mix well.
- Turn off the heat and add the cereal, popcorn, candy mixture. Combine.
- Allow the mix to cool for 5 minutes.
- Coat your hands in shortening and form small balls with the mixture, about the size of the palm of your hand.
- Place balls on wax paper and cool.