Looking for a quick inexpensive craft to spruce up the home or to give as gifts? Why not make a DIY Chalkboard! With an abundance of frames available to customize your “look” and an easy foam board from any dollar store, you can put a chalkboard into every room in your home!
We call this “primitive texting.”
And for only $10 to make 8 chalkboards, its also one of the most cost effective crafts anyone can enjoy!
- Foam board
- Chalkboard Spray Paint
- Picture frames
- Craft Knife or Scissors
- Wipe down your foam board with a dry cloth to make sure there is no debris stuck to it.
- In a well-ventilated area, coat the foam board with a light coat of chalkboard spray paint and allow to dry to the touch.
- Repeat this process until your foam board is completely covered.
- Allow to dry for 24 hours.
- Once board is completely dry, use a piece of chalk and rub the board down with chalk and then wipe clean with a dry cloth.
- Take apart your picture frame and discard the glass portion.
- Using the backing of the frame as a guide, place it onto your foam board to cut it to size.
- Place the foam board into the frame and secure the backing.
- These make great gifts for the crafty kid in your life, and for around $10 I was able to make 8 frames and still have a bit of the foam board left.
- You could also omit the frames all together and just paint the edges to give it a finished look!