Come in. Come in, readers of MomDot. Do you copy? Over.
Walkie talkies have been used for decades by the military, police force, and even by kids just for fun. The capacity for imaginative walkie talkie play is endless, making them one of the best toy purchases for children. Most adults can recall the sheer excitement of standing 30 feet away from their friend and hearing their voice like they were right beside them. Whether you’re in the car, running around the house, on vacation, or sneaking through the trees, using walkie talkies is a childish wonder like no other.
And now you’re wanting to pass that joy on to your own children. Well, we’re here to help! In this article, we’ll be covering the best walkie talkies for kids. Let’s get started!
In a Hurry? Here’s Our Top Picks…
- In a Hurry? Here’s Our Top Picks…
- 1. Retevis RT628 Kids Walkie Talkies
- 2. UHF Two Way Handheld Mini Kids Walkie Talkies
- 3. UOKOO Walkie Talkies for Kids
- 4. Qniglo Walkie Talkies for Kids
- 5. Proster Rechargeable Walkie Talkies for Kids
- Considerations Before Purchasing
1. Retevis RT628 Kids Walkie Talkies
- License free; your kids can keep in...
- Compact and lightweight body; ergonomic...
- VOX and 2.5mm headphone connection;the...
- Multichannel walkie talkies...
- The key lock works for children to stay...
The Retevis RT628 Walkie Talkies are perfect for a child’s small hands. These come in a convenient set of two walkie talkies so that you and your little one can play together.
Voices can be heard crystal clear through this set from half a mile to a full mile away. Although, terrain with large hills, low valleys, or mountains may effect the connection. The handsets have a few simple buttons to adjust volume, frequency, and various menu items for personalization.
The great thing though is that kids don’t exactly care all too much about specifics. So the only thing they’ll need to do is power on the walkie talkie and press the talk button. To hear the other person speak, they’ll simply need to let go of the talk button.
For the affordable price, these walkie talkies are very well made and durable – definitely not reminiscent of a toy; though they’re perfect for play. Users have reported that even their four-year-olds could use these with ease!
- Affordable price, even for those on a budget
- Great quality. Even with minor bumps and drops, these walkie talkies have proven to last
- Comes in a set of two so you can play with your child (or your children can play with one another)
- Sound is crystal clear up to a mile away (depending on the terrain)
- Simple buttons for adjusting the volume and specifics
- Available in four color choices: red, black, camo, and black and silver
2. UHF Two Way Handheld Mini Kids Walkie Talkies
These lightweight, easy-to-use walkie talkies are a great choice for imaginative kids of all ages. The unique grooved design of the walkie talkies allows for a tight grip, even in the hands of small children. Voices can be heard clearly up to 2 miles away and the volume can be adjusted to your child’s preferences.
The LCD display of this set provides a clear picture no matter if the sun is glaring or the moon is high. And for those dark nights when your children are running through the trees from invisible foreign enemies, there’s a built-in flashlight to light their way.
This set is pretty customizable to the preferences of your child. The call tone can even be changed to any of the 10 available noises, which include 5 animal calls to camouflage their presence.
Like the previous walkie talkie set, this set has a simple push-to-talk button that transfers your child’s voice directly to the other walkie talkie without complicated dials. They’ll just need to remember to release the button to hear the other person talk.
These walkie talkies take four triple-A batteries to function, but installation and setup proved fairly easy.
- Affordable, long-lasting walkie talkie set
- Works at distances up to 2 miles
- Simple setup and battery installation
- The sides of the walkie talkies are grooved to fit the grip of small children
- A great option for kids around 5 years old (and up)
- Built-in flashlight for ease of use during the evenings and nights
- The LCD displays are backlit and easy to see during the day or night
- Only available in a bright yellow color, which may not be what your child wants if they want to be stealthy
3. UOKOO Walkie Talkies for Kids
If stealth is your child’s middle name, these camouflage Walkie Talkies would be the perfect fit. Our choice for boys, the UOKOO Walkie Talkies is a compact, universal pick for little men ages 3 and up.
With a range of over 3.5 miles, your kids will have a blast hearing each other’s voices no matter how far they wander. The sound quality is loud and clear (OVER) and the volume can be adjusted to suit your child’s needs.
Like the previous walkie talkie set, these walkie talkies are made with built-in flashlights to light up the night. This set also runs off of triple-A batteries and is incredibly easy to set up and install. There’s also a convenient low-battery indicator so your child knows when to replace the current batteries.
- Walkie talkies have built-in flashlights for better visibility in dim places
- The range is over 3.5 miles (up to 3.728 miles exactly)
- Camouflage print to blend into the trees and surrounding woody areas
- Easy to set up and install batteries
- Great for kids as young as 3 and our top pick for boys
- Backlit display
4. Qniglo Walkie Talkies for Kids
- 【Gifts for Children】It is a great...
- 【Rechargeable Battery Pack】Qniglo...
- 【Suitable for Children's Hands】Small...
- 【Clear Sound Quality】Sound is clear...
- 【Easy to Use for Kids】Simply press...
Our choice for girls ages 3 and up, these Qniglo Walkie Talkies are colorful and stylish – perfect for a little lady. They’re available in three pair variations: Blue and Camo, both Blue, or both Camo print.
These walkie talkies have a 3-mile range so that you and your child can hear one another no matter where you are. There are 22 available call channels on these walkie talkies, but the channel can be set so that your child can’t accidentally listen in to conversations that aren’t theirs.
Similar to the other walkie talkies on our list, this set is a push-to-talk set. Your children will simply push the push-to-talk button when they want to speak to the person on the other end and release to hear their playmate.
- Available for purchase in three different color pairs for better personalization: Camo, Blue, or Blue and Camo
- Affordable and good quality walkie talkie toys
- Would make a great gift for an adventurous girl
- Simple push-to-talk (and release to listen) system
5. Proster Rechargeable Walkie Talkies for Kids
- (1 Pair Walkie Talkies) FRS462MHz, 16...
- (Walkie Talkie with USB Charging Design)...
- (Long Range Two Way Radio) It can shield...
- (Walky Talky with 1500mAh Li-ion...
- (Wide Application ) Portable walkie...
These sophisticated walkie talkies are available in packs of 2, 4, and 8 – great for if you have a large family! They’re completely black to blend into dim and natural surroundings and they’re small enough to fit in a child’s hands.
Each walkie talkie is equipt with a built-in flashlight to make nighttime playtime a breeze. This set is made with rechargeable batteries and an included charger. These walkie talkies have 16 available channels and a pretty good range of around 2 miles. They also have a DCS and CTCSS Function to protect from interference and shield the radio way from loud noises.
- Affordable, even for those who may be on a tighter budget
- Available for purchase in sets of 2, 4, or 8 walkie talkies, making it a wonderful option for large families or friend groups
- Walkie talkies are entirely black, great for stealthy play and blending into natural surroundings
- More sophisticated than others on this list, but still an ideal option for children
- Come with an earpiece and USB charger
- These walkie talkies have rechargeable batteries, which may not be an ideal feature for some users
Considerations Before Purchasing
Walkie Talkie Range
Depending on how far you and your little one will be traveling, the range may be an important factor in your buying process. Most walkie talkies for kids have a range around 2 miles, but some can have a range of up to 5!
If you’re just planning on playing with your child indoors or in your backyard, a lesser range would work fine. But if you and your child are the adventurous types, you may want to consider opting for a walkie talkie set with a farther range.
How Terrain Affects the Range and Signal
As we’ve mentioned previously, the range will vary depending on the terrain you’re using the walking talkies in.
Hilly, mountainous, crowded, or otherwise not ideal terrain will cut the range sometimes in half. For example, if the maximum range of your walkie talkie set is 3 miles, you can expect it to drop to around 1.5 miles when the location is inconveniently shaped or if there are multiple buildings around (such as in a neighborhood).
The signal and clarity of the voices over the walkie talkies may also become static or break up in these busy areas, which is an obvious inconvenience for the determined child.
Ideally, walkie talkies should be used on flatter terrain away from cities. Forests and wooded areas are the perfect play place for an awesome, top-notch walkie talkie experience. But if forests aren’t your thing, playing around the house where you’re in very close proximity to your child is also a great choice and will keep the signal strong.
Rechargeable or Replaceable Batteries
When it comes to walkie talkies, there are generally two options: walkie talkies with a rechargeable battery or walkie talkies with replaceable batteries.
It really all falls down to preference, but we usually prefer the replacement battery options for kid’s walkie talkies for a couple of reasons. Firstly, there’s less of a chance for complications. When you charge a rechargeable battery, if it was not drained before placed on a charger it could result in a damaged battery. But if your changeable batteries drain, you’ll simply need to replace them and voila, you’re ready to go!
Secondly, the cost of replaceable batteries is less expensive than replacing rechargeable batteries – and they last just as long, if not longer.
Q: If I buy two sets of the walkie talkies, will they be compatible?
A: Yes, two sets of the same walkie talkies will be compatible. Just make sure that you set them all to the same channel for them to work.
Q: Will hilly terrain or obstacles affect the range of the walkie talkies?
A: Various terrains, including mountainous or hilly terrain, will most likely affect the clarity of the voices coming through the walkie talkies. Walkie talkies are best used on flatter lands without a lot of obstacles in the way (think parks, forests or wooded areas) or inside a home or other building.
To get an idea of fluctuation in range, if the maximum range of a walkie talkie is around 3 miles, you could probably expect the range to lower to about 1.5 miles when used on busy terrains.
Q: Do walkie talkies stay charged for a long time?
A: Yes, walkie talkies do stay charged for a decent amount of time, usually. If you happen to find yourself using a nearly dead walkie talkie, most of the walkie talkies on our list are battery-powered or can be charged on the go for use anytime and anyplace. For the most part, you shouldn’t have to worry about the charge of the walkie talkies, considering how easy they are to recharge or replace the batteries.
Q: Are walkie talkies durable enough for my 5-year-old?
A: Yes! In fact, all of the walkie talkies on our list were made specifically with young children in mind.
Walkie talkies are a childhood necessity that has been used by kids for decades. Our favorite set is the UHF Two Way Handheld Mini Kids Walkie Talkies because of their overall wonderful quality, great range, and lasting durability. We hope you enjoyed our article covering the best walkie talkies for kids!