If you are someone who likes to cook at home often, choosing the best appliances is a crucial decision to make for your kitchen. While most kitchens have a range that has a cooktop attached, gas cooktops have been growing in popularity. If you don’t find yourself using the oven much and would instead use that space for storage, then a gas cooktop may be a better option for you.
Whether you’re renovating the kitchen or want to enjoy cooking meals on your kitchen island, choosing the perfect cooktop is a must. There are a lot of different brands, prices, and features to consider. This is why we created our guide of the best gas cooktop reviews so that you can weigh your options and choose the cooktop that’s best for you and your family!
Benefits of Using a Gas Cooktop
Before you dive into the gas cooktop reviews, you may be curious as to what the advantages are to having one. There are many benefits to using a gas cooktop versus a range. Here are a few:
- Different Design Options: Even though ranges can vary somewhat in design and shape, gas cooktops have a lot more flexibility in the style, size, and convenience. Not only can you choose something that fits the aesthetic of your kitchen more easily, but you can place it just about anywhere, including on a kitchen island.
- Produces Less Heat: When you use a cooktop, you’ll have less heat in the area, even if you are using the cooktop and your oven at the same time.
- More Storage Space: Because cooktops don’t come on top of an oven, you’ll have more storage space in your kitchen. You can use this place to store your pots and pans or cooking dishes that don’t get used regularly.
Depending on which cooktop you get, it can sometimes cost more than going with a combined model. However, for many consumers, the benefits outweigh the cost difference. Making the right decision for your kitchen comes down to the space you have, your individual lifestyle, and the budget you’re working with.
Cooktop VS Range
Now that you know some of the benefits of using a gas cooktop, you may still be wondering what the differences are. Afterall, ranges, and cooktops are similar in many ways but have differences when it comes to design and function. We’ll lay out a few of the similarities and differences so you can know which works best for you and your kitchen.
With both appliances, you can find a variety of sizes and features. Whether you go with a cooktop or a range, you can choose between gas, electric, or a combination of both.
Ranges are typically installed within your counter space to give a more built-in appearance. A cooktop, however, can be installed directly into any of your countertops, and allow you to keep storage space below. The most significant difference is that ranges have the oven built-in, whereas the cooktops do not.
On cooktops, the knobs are located on the top near the grates while the knobs on a range are located at the front of a unit. If you’re a family with children, this is something to take note of. Having the knobs located in harder to reach place can give parents more ease of mind when cooking with most cooktops.
What to Look For in a Gas Cooktop
Before we dive into our gas cooktop reviews, it’s important to go over what to look for when choosing the right appliance for your home. The right cooktop for you highly depends on your own personal preferences, so you’ll need to know what your options are and the benefits associated.
While some cooktops can have a more delicate, more seamless look than others, it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the better model. In order to make the best decision, you need to know all that’s included and how it all works.
Cooktops range in size, but most will be around 30 to 36 inches with four burners. For a standard kitchen, this should be plenty. However, if you pride yourself on cooking gourmet meals that require multiple burners going at once, having a large cooktop is well worth the extra cost and size.
Just remember, the cooktop is going to take up a good amount of counter space, and having some extra burners won’t be all that helpful if you don’t have sufficient counter space to do the prep work required.
If your kitchen already has a cooktop that you’re looking to replace, take a look at the specific dimensions to make the installation smooth and seamless.
When choosing any appliance for your kitchen, or home in general, you always want to make sure that you get your money’s worth. The best way to ensure that is to choose a brand of high quality that you can trust to produce a durable product.
We’ve done some research to find out what the reputations of different brands are, and have read gas cooktop reviews on various models to ensure we find the cooktops made to last.
Of course, you’ll have to maintain proper maintenance and cleaning in order to have a cooktop that lasts for years. But still, doing your best to find a durable option is going to be your best bet for longevity in your appliance.
Ease of Cleaning
As we just mentioned, maintenance and cleaning go a long way when it comes to how long your cooktop will be around. So, in addition to choosing a durable cooktop, you want to make sure it’s something that is easy to clean.
Smoothtop and induction cooktops are a great option because they’re flat. You can easily wipe them down once you’re finished for a simple cleaning process. However, smooth top cooktops can be hard to clean if you don’t wipe up spills quickly. Wait too long, and the spill will burn into the surface. This isn’t the end of the world, but you’ll have to put a little elbow grease to get it cleaned up.
No matter which cooktop you choose, you still need to take time to do a deep cleaning. This will take time and work, but it’s worth it.
If you install a cooktop someplace in your kitchen without a range hood, you will need to determine how to vent out the steam, fumes, and odors that generate as you cook. A downdraft exhaust system is a great alternative to consider to help clear everything out and move the fumes outside.
If you have children or pets that may be able to reach your cooktop, safety may be one of your top priorities. An induction cooktop is the best option for anyone who values safety as the most important feature.
Another option is an electric cooktop. These will change colors as you heat up the burners as well as when it’s cooling. This lets you know when they are too hot to touch.
No matter which cooktop you choose, there are going to be safety hazards just like any other kitchen appliance. Ensuring that you take measures to prevent you, your family, or pets from being accidentally burned is going to be more critical than which cooktop you go with.
Control options are more of an aesthetic preference more than anything else. Both knobs and sleek buttons are functional, so it’s more about your own personal preference. If you want a cooktop that looks nicer, then models that have digital controls may be worth upgrading for.
When looking at the gas cooktop reviews, take a look at some of the additional features you may want to ensure your new appliance has. Not all options include these, so this may be your deciding factor.
Power Boil Burners:
- You know what they say, “A watched pot never boils.” The power boil burner will make your water or soups come to a boil more quickly.
- Some cooktops have warming zones where you can place cooked food in order to keep it warm without burning it. It keeps it ready to serve without worrying about the food overcooking.
- For families with children, this may be a feature to look out for. Control lockout will limit who can use the cooktop, which is incredibly helpful with keeping your kitchen safe.
- Some cooktops will have additional modules that allow you to do more with your cooktop. Examples are a steamer, deep fryer, or grill.
1. Frigidaire Professional 30 Inch Gas, Stainless Steel 5-Burner with Liquid Propane Conversion Kit
- Your purchase includes One Frigidaire...
- Cooktop dimensions – 4-1/4” H x...
- Prepare a range of dishes with...
- Our durable, continuous cast-iron grates...
- Burners specifications (BTU): Left Rear...
For a mom who wants a nice looking cooktop that gives you your money’s worth, this cooktop from Frigidaire is worth checking out. Frigidaire is a well-known appliance company that produces high-quality and durable products – including this cooktop.
Once installed, your kitchen will suddenly look like a gourmet restaurant kitchen. Not only does the stainless steel have a clean look to it, but it also makes the chore of cleaning the stovetop itself a breeze. Easily wipe down the stainless steel when you’re done and put the rest in the dishwasher. Simple as that!
This stovetop heats up quickly and allows you to use five burners at once in different temperatures. Quickly and easily prepare dinner by having all burners going to saute, boil, or sear all at the same time. It’s 30″, which is on the smaller side, so this option will fit in most kitchens.
- Get more from your money with this durably made cooktop
- Ability to heat up quickly and cook multiple foods at once to reduce cooking time
- A little pricier than other similar options
2. Ramblewood GC2-37N (Natural Gas) high-efficiency two-burner gas cooktop
- ETL safety certified *** .........FREE...
- Natural Gas setting(LPG/Propane version...
- Stainless steel surface with heavy cast...
- Safety device with thermal couple &...
This cooktop from Ramblewood is incredibly small, about one-third the size of most of the options on our gas cooktop reviews list. Although it’s smaller in size, it comes with a few features that make it a great option for many moms. It’s perfect for anyone who owns a tiny house, doesn’t have a large kitchen space, or simply doesn’t want a huge cooktop taking up unnecessary room.
Because it has a safety device installed, this works great for moms with small children or pets that may be nearby. It will automatically shut off the gas supply when no flame is detected, preventing gas leakage.
One unique feature this cooktop offers is the off-the-grid feature. It even comes with the batteries needed for this feature, but it’s not necessary to use batteries during all cook times. Even if there’s a storm that causes a power outage, you can still cook up something for your family.
- Less expensive than some of the other options on this list
- Has a safety device that automatically shuts cooktop off, giving busy moms and pet owners peace of mind
- Ability to switch to batteries in the event of a power outage
- Only has two burners, which wouldn’ be sufficient for someone who plans to cook multiple foods at once
3. Empava 30″ 5 Italy Sabaf Burners Gas Stove Cooktop Stainless Steel
- Product dimensions: 29.92 in. L x 20.08...
- LPG/NG Convertible (Both Nozzles...
- The 5 World Class Made in Italy SABAF...
- Enjoy minimal cleanup with sealed...
- The durable knobs and laser cut...
Similar to the first option on our list, this cooktop is a five-burner stove that looks sleek in your kitchen. Not only is it made from highly-durable stainless steel, but it is also stain and heat discoloration resistant. Most stoves will start to have a worn look as time goes on between food spills and heat, but not this one. You can expect this to sparkle in your kitchen for years to come!
Moms are always busy; this is something we all know. The last thing a busy mom wants is to take any longer in the kitchen than she has to. The high power burners heat up fast, preventing you from waiting around to cook. With the five separate burners and four-burner sizes, you can get more cooking at once, causing you to cut down on even more time.
Once the meal has been served and everyone’s finished eating, cleaning the kitchen is unexciting, to say the least. With this stovetop, you can clean up quickly and easily. The stainless steel allows you to wipe any spilled foods off quickly. Both the knobs and cast iron grates can be placed in the dishwasher for fast clean-up.
You can have some peace of mind when using this cooktop. The thermocouple flame-out fault system allows the cooktop to automatically turn off when no flame is detected, helping you to prevent gas leakage.
- Made of durable stainless-steel that looks sleek and is easy to clean
- Has five burners and four-burner size options, allowing you to cook multiple foods at once
- Automatically turns off when no flame is detected
- Some reviewers have said lighting it is a little challenging
4. Frigidaire 30″ Stainless Steel 4 Burner Gas Cooktop
- SEALED GAS BURNERS Enjoy easier cleanup...
- DURABLE STAINLESS STEEL COOKTOP Premium...
- ANGLED FRONT CONTROLS Easy to use angled...
- 30" W x 21-3/4" D x 4-1/4" H
Another great option from Frigidaire on our gas cooktop reviews list, this stainless steel four-burner gas cooktop is a relatively inexpensive option for a mom who wants plenty of cooking space without the high price. It has four sealed gas burners and has the option to pair with any of the single electric wall ovens.
Heat up the front burners quickly to get your food done fast, and use the low simmer burner for sauces or any other delicate foods to prevent them from being overcooked. Once you’re finished, wipe down the stainless steel and place the wire grates in the dishwasher.
Using this stovetop is simple, with the easy-to-use controls on the bottom. Keep in mind that this may be reachable to some kids, and this particular model doesn’t offer the automatic shut-off feature.
- Has a low simmer burner to keep delicate foods from overcooking
- Easy to clean and dishwasher-safe grate
- Easy to use slanted knobs
- No auto-shutoff feature
- Unable to use if the power goes out
5. NOXTON Gas Cooktop Hob Gas Stove Top 2 Sealed Burners in Stainless Steel 16207btu with LPG Kit&FFD Plug for 110V~240V
- ✅ Meet All Cooking: Two burners, 10236...
- ✅ Safe Setting: This gas cooktop in...
- ✅ Durable Quality: Made of 100%...
- ✅ Easy Installation: This stainless...
- ✅ Easy To Operate: Automatic ignition...
While Noxton may not be a household name, you can still expect a high-quality and durable cooktop from them. This particular model is quite small at only 11.8 x 20.5 inches, so it won’t be taking up much kitchen space.
The high-efficiency burners provide you with instant heating, allowing you to boil, fry, or simmer as soon as you turn it on. With the automatic ignition, you’ll get an accurate and flexible gas adjustment. You can feel safe while using this with thermocouple protection. This ensures that the gas will be automatically turned off.
Installation couldn’t be easier. All you need to do is plug it in, and you’re ready to go! Perfect for bringing along in the RV, camping, or anywhere else that has an electrical outlet. It comes with an LP gas conversion kit that allows you to switch to liquefied gas.
- Thermocouple protection to prevent gas leakage
- Easy to install and bring along wherever an outlet is available
- Easy to use, high-efficiency burners to make cooking quick and easy
- Not dishwasher safe and can be a little more challenging to clean than other options
6. 12 Inches Gas Stove High Gas Cooktop Gas Hob Stove Top 2 Burners Gas Range
We have a few other smaller gas cooktop reviews for you to check out, but this offers a few unique features that may catch your eye. If energy conservation is important to you, then the HBHOB 12 inch gas cooktop is worth taking a look at. This is also another option for someone who is looking for something easy to use and easy to transport.
This one is unique in that it has a glass surface, unlike many of the other models on our gas cooktop reviews list. The black glass looks elegant and sleek, making your kitchen or (anywhere you place this cooktop) look beautiful. Not only that, but it’s easy to wipe up any spills and clean once you’re finished cooking.
Additionally, this is another model that offers the “flame out” detection that will automatically shut off gas supply once the flame is out. This is an important feature, especially in a home with children.
- Has sleek and clean black glass that makes clean-up a breeze
- Compact and easy to transport
- Offers safety with the “flame out” detection
- Smaller than most models, which can be inconvenient for those wanting to cook many types of food at once
7. GE JGP3030DLBB 30 Inch Gas Cooktop with MAX System, Power Broil, Simmer, Continuous Grates, Sealed Burners, and ADA Compliant
For a heavy-duty cooktop that cooks all of your food quickly and accurately, look no further than this model from GE. It’s 30 inches and has four burners, which is an average-sized cooktop that will comfortably fit in most household kitchens.
This model features a MAX burner system that creates the same maximum BTU power as propane and natural gas cooktops. This means you can get your stove heated up quickly and get food on the table faster. To speed up time, even more, use the power broil burner to bring water to a boil quickly. For sauces, the simmer burner accurately holds heat at a lower temperature to keep your food protected from overheating.
Once finished, all you need to do is give the stove a good wipedown and place the grate in the dishwasher. Because the knobs are placed on the side versus the bottom of the cooktop, it makes it a little more challenging for little ones to reach.
- Knobs placed on the side, making it harder for children to reach and accidentally turn on
- Has a power boil burner to reduce the time it takes to boil food, allowing you to get food on the table more quickly
- Easy to clean and the grate is dishwasher safe, reducing cleaning time after cooking meals
- Doesn’t have an auto-shutoff feature
8. GASLAND Chef GH60SF 4 Burner Gas Cooktop
This sleek, four-burner model from Gasland is a relatively inexpensive option for all that it comes with. Made with stainless steel, strong cast iron pan supports, and four melt-proof knobs – this stovetop is built to last. The simplistic design will match nicely with most kitchens, and has a very modern look and feel to it.
It’s smaller than the standard size, measuring at only 24 inches. This is perfect for someone who is looking for a stovetop that is big enough to cook multiple meals while not taking up too much counter space. You get four high-efficiency sealed burners that will match various cooking needs, including a triple ring burner and a low-heat burner for delicate foods.
You have the option to convert to propane with the conversion kit, but the initial setting is for natural gas. With2 different gas supply options and electric ignition, you can have a little more convenience in your cooking space. Additionally, this model offers the flame-out failure system that shuts off the gas once flames are no longer detected.
- Small enough to take up less space in the kitchen, but offers enough room to use four burners simultaneously
- Made with high-quality, durable products that are built to last through regular use
- Comes with a conversion kit to give an added touch of convenience
- May be too small for some kitchens
9. Frigidaire Gallery 30 Inch Gas, Black 4-Burner Range with Liquid Propane Conversion Kit, FGGC3045QB Cooktop
- Gallery 30" Gas Cooktop - Black
- Left front burner: 12000 BTU
- Left rear burner: 9500 BTU
- Right front burner: 18000 BTU
- Right rear burner: 5000 BTU
Unlike some of the other models on our list of gas cooktop reviews, this stove is an all-black color. If your kitchen appliances are mostly black and you want to match the aesthetic, this will fit right in!
Although we chose a lot of options that are incredibly easy to clean, this model is one of the easiest. The continuous corner-to-corner grates make it easy to move heavy pots without lifting, preventing unwanted spills. The spill-safe cooktop contains any spillovers to further prevent a mess, and the seamless recessed burners make cleaning a breeze once you’re finished.
This cooktop is approved for installation with any Frigidaire Single Electric Wall ovens if you choose to add an oven in later on. You also get a conversion kit for liquid propane, adding a little extra convenience.
- Extremely easy to clean with the spill-safe cooktop
- Continuous corner-to-corner grates make it easier to pick up heavy pots when moving to a different burner
- Ability to install with an oven if you choose to do so later on
- No auto-shutoff feature
10. Kitchen Academy 36” Gas Cooktop, Professional Burners Gas Stove Cooktop with 6 Gas Burners, Stainless Steel Rangetop Cooktop Auto Ignition
- Dimensions ＆ Material Type – 35.8 x...
- 6 Stainless Steel Top Burners –...
- Continuous grates – Make it easy to...
- Auto Ignition – Comes with a Piezo...
- 2 Year Product Service – Include 2...
Last but not least of the gas cooktop reviews, we have a bigger sized cooktop to consider from Kitchen Academy. If you’re looking for a cooktop that has more space to cook and comes with all the bells and whistles, then this could be your top choice of all the gas cooktop reviews. It’s a little pricier than some of the other models but well worth it for someone who spends a good amount of time in the kitchen.
Unlike most of the options, this one is quite large and has six stainless steel top burners. You get professional chef settings, including two powerful single burners, one dual burner, and three single burners. The auto-ignition function makes it easy to use, just press in and turn the knob to switch on the flame.
Not only is this an incredibly practical option, but it’s easy to clean once the cooking is finished. The continuous grates make sliding a pan from one side to the other easy, keeping your arms from tiring and foods from spilling.
- Contains six burners providing more cooking space than most other options
- Looks modern, and will look beautiful in just about any kitchen
- Continuous grates that make sliding pots and pans seamless
- No auto-shutoff feature
When shopping for new kitchen appliances, it can be challenging to choose something that fits well in your kitchen. While the aesthetics of the device is more of personal preference, some details are beneficial to keep in mind for just about everyone. Overall, you want to choose a cooktop that is durable and long-lasting, easy to clean, and one that will fit nicely in your specific kitchen. We added a variety of cooktops in differing sizes and features in our list of gas cooktop reviews, so you’re sure to find something that will be a perfect match for your kitchen.