What is the daily recommended calcium for women?
When it comes to calcium it’s true that most of us don’t get enough. In fact, about 68% of women are calcium deficient as a whole. And throughout our lives, there are many times where a calcium deficiency can really rear its ugly head, but none more important to be aware of than during pregnancy. When you are pregnant your body is working overtime. The baby needs many nutrients, like iron, vitamin D, folic acid, iodine and yep, calcium. And when your body falls short in its calcium during pregnancy, it will default to pulling from the woman’s bones in order to support the growth of the baby’s heart, teeth, bones and muscles.
- You don’t need to take in extra calcium when you are pregnant, but you need to take in enough calcium every day to meet your daily requirements of 1000 mg (for women 19+).
- //GET $2 OFF CLICKING HERE
Don’t fall short
(me: 25 weeks!) #ViactivBabyBump
That’s why Viactiv® (http://www.viactiv.com) wants you to SHARE the importance of getting the calcium, and other important nutrients, needed during pregnancy. With Viactiv Calcium Soft Chews, as a pregnant woman, you can easily chew the exact amount needed to support you and the baby. And when I was pregnant I would gag on any pills- which is why I especially love the soft easy to chew supplement in milk chocolate and caramel.
And you cannot just rely on prenatal vitamins to come through. More than 1,000 OB/GN’s surveyed nationwide report discussing calcium needs almost twice as much to pregnant women as they do to menopausal women. Not to mention the majority of OB/GYN’s surveyed (68%) recommend pregnant women take a calcium supplement during pregnancy*. “OB/GYN survey data was gathered by BrandPerx on behalf of Viactiv, surveying over 1,000 participating OB/GYN’s across the country during the month of July, 2015.”
- Many multivitamins, prenatal vitamins and mineral supplements provide only 20-30% of the recommended amount of calcium for women who are pregnant.
Other Nutrients you need during pregnancy:
- Iron: Iron needs increase during pregnancy. Over 17% of pregnant woman are diagnosed with iron deficiency in the US which increases the need for iron rich foods and supplementation.
- Vitamin D: The Institute of Medicine (IOM) recommends 600 IU per day of Vitamin D for woman including pregnant women. Ongoing research suggests that needs may be even higher as well as safe for improving maternal and infant Vitamin D status. Because food is not a good source of Vitamin D, supplementation is often necessary.
- Calcium: During pregnancy, calcium absorption increases along with bone mobilization. Women that don’t get the required amount of calcium through dietary sources should consider a calcium supplement like Viactiv.
- Folic Acid: Folic acid prevents neural tube defects during pregnancy. All women should consume 400 micrograms per day from fortified foods and/or their prenatal supplement.
- Iodine: Iodine is required for normal brain development and growth however iodine deficiency is becoming more common. During pregnancy, iodine requirements increase. With the popularity and increased use of non-iodized salt many women are at risk for deficiency. The IOM recommends an iodine intake of 150 – 220 micrograms per day for pregnant women.
Get $2 off Viactiv
Ready to make sure you’re in charge of keeping yourself healthy and nutrient ready during this important time in your life? Get your $2 off coupon for Viactiv and stock up. The individually wrapped chews are easy to throw in a purse so you never have to worry about forgetting (which, let’s face it, all pregnant women do!).
- Viactiv is available at major retailers nationwide including Rite Aid, CVS, Target, and Walmart, as well as supermarkets nationwide.
Want to learn more?
Make sure you follow the Viactiv Family at these great places:
Please talk with your doctor regarding any concerns before taking any supplements. This post is not intended to address or diagnose any medical conditions. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Viactiv Calcium Soft Chews are available in milk chocolate and caramel flavors at major retailers including CVS, Rite Aid, Target, and Walmart, as well as supermarkets nationwide. Print this coupon to save $2 on your next in-store purchase of Viactiv.
Learn more about Viactiv at www.Viactiv.com.
This is a product-provided, sponsored conversation on behalf of Viactiv that contains affiliate links. I received Viactiv products for my own personal use. This post is not intended to address or diagnose any medical conditions. All opinions, text and experiences are my own. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Please speak with your healthcare provider regarding any medical concerns.