Y’all, what is happening? Its like I blink and summer is half over. I know today is TECHNICALLY the first day of summer, but as a parent, I count the first day of summer as the first day my kids get out of school for vacation and that was a month ago. A FULL MONTH AGO.
That means July 4th is coming up and its one of my favorite times of the year. Cooking and crafting and family and everything is red, white, and blue! As a former military family we are all things patriotic, so it warms my heart to bring you a totally fun, totally America-friendly red, white, and blue cupcake!
Now you may be saying…Trisha, this looks so familiar.
And you would be right!
This is fashioned off of the same unicorn poop cupcake idea, with a gorgeous mixture of colors all slammed into the best cupcake cone on the block.
Star Spangled Cupcakes
Ingredients for cupcakes:
- 1 package white cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- Red, blue, food coloring
Ingredients for frosting:
(you will need this frosting tip to create this look)
- 2 sticks (1 cup) of butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Red, blue,food coloring
Directions for Cupcakes:
- Combine your cake mix, water, eggs and oil into a bowl and mix until together. Then add into an electric mixer for 2 minutes on medium.
- Now separate your cake batter into four bowls for four colors (change varying on the colors you are using)
- Add red, and blue food coloring separately to each bowl, as well as keep one white by itself, to create 3 different batter colors.
- Set your ice cream cones into a cupcake/muffin tin
- Alternate batter colors into each cone until you have about 1 inch room left from top, which allows for the cupcake to bake up.
- Now add your cupcake in the oven, taking care not to spill. The cupcakes are done when a toothpick comes out clean, which is anywhere from 20-25 minutes
- Cool completely before decorating
Directions to create Frosting Recipe:
- Add your butter into your mixer on medium until it’s fluffy. Then add your vanilla, milk, and sugar.
- Mix together on low until its all together
- Separate your frosting into diff bowls and tint the colors you are going for. I used red, blue, and the original white.
- Fill your 3 piping bags and cut off tip of each one.
- Attach a circle tip #1A to a separate bag with a coupler on the end and cut.
- Put 3 bags of colored frosting inside the coupler bag with the coupler so that the tip of each bag is in the circle tip, creating one frosting bag
- Swirl and Frost cupcakes into your Patriotic Cupcake!
- We used this Wilton Icing Holder to hold the cupcakes steady- perfect size!
Love these? Make sure you check out the Unicorn Poop Cupcakes before you go!