Are you asking yourself if the Cabbage Soup Diet really works? Will the cabbage soup diet help you shed those unwanted pounds and get back to the shape you want? And will the weight you lose with the diet STAY gone or is it just water weight? I learned about this diet from a friend whose husband told us that when he was in the Navy, they would all use the Cabbage Soup diet to make weight standards, so we set out to try it.
You can read our results and journey by following along on our
Cabbage Soup Diet
First the recipe for the soup:
The Cabbage Soup Diet Recipe
- 1 package dry onion soup mix (liptons makes some)
- 2 bouillon cubes, either chicken or beef
- 1 celery stick (not the whole stalk), diced (some say a “bunch” of celery)
- 1/2 head green cabbage, diced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 bell peppers, sliced ( i only used 1)
- 6 large green onions, or 1 large yellow, white or purple onion, diced
- 2 cans of tomatoes, diced or whole
- Cooking spray
- Salt, pepper, parsley, garlic powder, soy sauce to taste (or any other seasoning you like)
- V8 (optional)
The Diet Recipe itself is below:
The Cabbage Soup Diet
- Day 1: Cabbage soup and all the fruit you want except bananas. Drink unsweetened tea, black coffee, cranberry juice, or water.
- Day 2: Cabbage soup, all the low-calorie vegetables you want (except beans, peas, or corn), and a baked potato with butter.
- Day 3: Cabbage soup and a mixture of the above fruit and vegetables.
- Day 4: Cabbage soup, up to eight bananas, and two glasses of skim milk.
- Day 5: Cabbage soup, up to 20 ounces of beef, chicken or fish, up to six fresh tomatoes, and at least 6-8 glasses of water.
- Day 6: Cabbage soup, up to 3 beef steaks, and unlimited vegetables.
- Day 7: Cabbage soup, up to 2 cups of brown rice, unsweetened fruit juices, and unlimited vegetables.
Click on any of these below to read each day what I went through and how you may feel as well.
Did the Cabbage Soup Diet Work?
1) The Cabbage Soup Diet; Does it Really work? This is where we started on our journey and talk about what the diet really is.
3) Day 3 Cabbage Soup Diet: It’s not so bad. Day #1 felt like detox. Just the sure willpower of not walking into the kitchen and eating anything was a hard habit to break. Pour a sweet tea, a soda, a lemonade..it’s just so easy to do .It’s even extra easy for someone like me where no one is home and can chastise me for it. I’m not going to lie to you, that first day I felt like a crack addict coming down from a high. Every commercial was a test, every billboard I drove past was begging me to “all you can eat”.
4) Cabbage Soup Diet Day 4, I am a cheater : This is day 4 on the cabbage diet for me… well, day four and a half technically. Sunday night when I was prepping the soup, I ate two bowls. Just ignore the fact that I followed it with a half cup of reeses peanut butter cup ice cream. I was raving about how good the soup was to my dh… I should have just waited to start the diet. You could be on a cheesecake and steak diet and by Day #4 you would be over it.
Because of my positive results the first time we tried the Cabbage soup diet, I tried it again after I had my son! Did I have the same results? Read more!
- Cabbage soup diet Hell week, Day #1
- Day 2: Cabbage Soup diet trying it again
- Day : I am starving to death
My thoughts are that while it does work and you CAN leave it off, it wasn’t enough energy while I was chasing around and raising a newborn son, so use this diet sparingly and only if you can be lazy around the house.